Operating System-Specific Information
This manual occasionally refers to other Oracle manuals that contain detailed information for using Oracle on a specific operating system. These Oracle manuals are often called installation and configuration guides, although the exact name may vary on different operating systems. Throughout this manual, references to these manuals are marked with the icon shown in the left margin.
This appendix lists all the references in this manual to operating system-specific Oracle manuals, and lists the operating system (OS) dependent initialization parameters. If you are using Oracle on multiple operating systems, this appendix can help you ensure that your applications are portable across these operating systems.
Operating system-specific topics in this manual are listed alphabetically, with references to the sections that discuss these topics.
- Administrator privileges, prerequisites: "Connecting with Administrator Privileges" on page 5-3
- Auditing: "Auditing to the OS Audit Trail" on page 27-6
- Authenticating users: "Authentication by the Operating System" on page 25-3
- Authenticating database administrators: "Connecting with Administrator Privileges" on page 5-3 and "Database Administrator Authentication" on page 25-6
- Background processes, creating: "Background Processes" on page 7-6
- Background processes, multiple DBWR processes: "Database Writer (DBWn)" on page 7-8
- Background processes, using ARCH: "Archiver Process (ARCH)" on page 7-12
- Client/server communication: "Dedicated Server (Two-Task) Configuration" on page 7-18
- Communication software: "Operating System Communications Software" on page 7-28
- Configuring Oracle: "Variations in Oracle Configuration" on page 7-16
- Datafiles, size of file header: "Size of Datafiles" on page 3-12
- Dedicated server, requesting for administrative operations: "Restricted Operations of the Multithreaded Server" on page 7-24
- Indexes, overhead of index blocks: "Format of Index Blocks" on page 8-19
- Parallel recovery and asynchronous I/O: "Situations That Benefit from Parallel Recovery" on page 28-14
- Role management by the operating system: "The Operating System and Roles" on page 26-16
- Rollback segments, number of transactions per: "Transactions and Rollback Segments" on page 2-18
- Software code areas, shared or unshared: "Software Code Areas" on page 6-16
- Net8, choosing and installing network drivers: "The Program Interface Drivers" on page 7-27
- Net8, drivers included in Net8 software: "How Net8 Works" on page 29-5