Changing Assignment Information
When an employee experiences changes such as a promotion, transfer, or move from full time to part time, you change a component of the assignment. A change to any of the assignment components produces the DateTrack prompt.
- If you choose Correction, Oracle HRMS overwrites the existing assignment information.
By changing your effective date on the system, you can see the employee's assignment at any point in time. You can also view the changes made to the assignment over time using DateTrack History.
- If you choose Update, Oracle HRMS records the date and change, and retains the original information.
DateTrack History shows the changes made to one assignment. Use the Assignment History window to view the history of all the employee's assignments, both currently and in any previous periods of service.
Effects of Changing an Assignment
Changing any assignment component can have the following effects:
- The employee may lose eligibility for some compensation types, benefits or deductions, and gain eligibility for others. You receive a warning that the system automatically ends any unprocessed element entries for which the employee is no longer eligible.
- The employee may have a different level of access to Oracle HRMS, since the system's security is based on assignment to work structures.
- If you change the employee's grade when a grade step placement exists for the assignment, you receive a warning message that the placement will be date effectively ended and any future placements will be deleted. Also, the special ceiling point field is cleared.
Note: If an assignment change causes the system to change element entries, you may not be able to save the change if a current or future pay period is closed. You must reopen the period or change your effective date to make the change.
Changing Primary Assignments
Over time, a secondary assignment may need to be elevated to a primary assignment. Most companies have requirements to show the history of changes in an employee's record.
This process will create two historical records: one showing a secondary assignment that lasted from x day to y date, and the other showing that the primary assignment started as one set of components and then changed to another set of components (which are the same as the secondary assignment) as of a particular date.
To change a primary assignment:
1. Create a new assignment "B" as a secondary assignment.
2. Set an effective date for the assignment to become the employee's primary assignment.
3. Change Assignment "B" to be the primary assignment by selecting the Primary checkbox in the Miscellaneous alternative region.
Viewing Datetracked Information and History
Updating and Correcting Datetracked Information