|Oracle8i Application Developer's Guide - XML
Release 3 (8.1.7)
Part Number A86030-01
Using interMedia Text to Search and Retrieve Data from XML Documents, 3 of 22
Overview of interMedia Text
interMedia Text can be used to search XML documents. It extends Oracle8i by indexing any text or document stored in Oracle8i. It can also search documents in the operating system (flat files) and URLs.
interMedia Text enables the following:
- Content-based queries, such as, finding text and documents which contain particular words, using familiar, standard SQL.
- File-based text applications to use Oracle8i to manage text and documents in an integrated fashion with traditional relational information.
- Concept searching of English language documents
- Theme analysis of English language documents using the CTX_DOC PL/SQL package
- Highlighting hit words. With interMedia Text, you can render a document in different ways. For example, you can present documents with query terms highlighted, either the "words" of a word query or the "themes" of an ABOUT query in English. Use the CTX_DOC.MARKUP or HIGHLIGHT procedures for this.
- With interMedia Text PL/SQL packages for document presentation and thesaurus maintenance
interMedia Text is packaged with the other interMedia products, namely, image, audio, video, and geographic location services for web content management applications.
Users can query XML data stored in the database directly, without using interMedia Text. However, Intermedia Text is useful for boosting query performance.
See: Oracle8i interMedia Text Reference for more information about interMedia Text.