Oracle Workflow API Reference|
Part Number B12163-02
Sending Notification Messages
The Send( ) API or the SendGroup( ) API is called by the Workflow Engine when it encounters a notification activity. These APIs do the following:
- Check that the performer role of the notification activity is valid.
- Identify the notification preference for of the performer role.
- Look up the message attributes for the message.
- If a message attribute is of source SEND, the Send() or SendGroup( ) API retrieves its value from the item type attribute that the message attribute references. If the procedure cannot find an item type attribute, it uses the default value of the message attribute, if available. The Subject and Body of the message may include message attributes of source SEND, which the Send( ) or SendGroup( ) API token replaces with each attribute's current value when creating the notification.
- If a message includes a message attribute of source RESPOND, the Send( ) or SendGroup() API checks to see if it has a default value assigned to it. The procedure then uses these RESPOND attributes to create the default response section of the notification.
- 'Construct' the notification content by inserting relevant information into the Workflow Notification tables.
- Update the notification activity's status to 'NOTIFIED' if a response is required or to 'COMPLETE' if no response is required.
Note: If a notification activity sends a message that is for the performer's information only (FYI), where there are no RESPOND message attributes associated with it, the notification activity gets marked as complete as soon as the Notification System delivers the message.
Note: In the case of a voting activity, the status is updated to 'WAITING' instead of 'NOTIFIED'. See: Special Handling of Voting Activities
Users who view their notifications from the Notifications Web page, regardless of their notifications preferences, are simply querying the Workflow Notification tables from this interface.
- Raise the oracle.apps.wf.notification.send event. When this event is processed, a notification mailer generates an e-mail version of the notification if the performer role of a notification has a notification preference of MAILTEXT, MAILHTML, MAILHTM2, or MAILATTH, and sends the e-mail to the performer. For roles with a notification preference of SUMMARY, or, for Oracle Applications only, SUMHTML, a summary e-mail is sent when the oracle.apps.wf.notification.summary.send event is raised. See: Implementing Notification Mailers, Oracle Workflow Administrator's Guide.
A notification recipient can perform the following actions with the notification:
Note: In Oracle Applications, you can use the WF: Notification Reassign Mode profile option to determine whether users can reassign notifications by forwarding (also known as delegating) the notifications, transferring the notifications, or both. See: Setting the WF: Notification Reassign Mode Profile Option, Oracle Workflow Administrator's Guide.
Copyright © 2003, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.