Applications Administration Guide > Configuring the Inbox >
Planning for Inbox Configuration
Before you start configuring the Inbox, you need to do some research and planning.
This task is a step in Process of Setting Up and Configuring Inbox.
To plan an Inbox Configuration
- Choose the feature object you want to integrate with the Inbox.
For example, Employee Self-Service forms, Service Requests, Opportunities.
- Analyze how the object is currently being accessed by answering the following questions:
- Is the object accessed from the UI or from workflow processes? Is the object accessed from one place or many?
- How is the object related to other objects? Are other objects dependent on the object?
- What operations do end users perform on the object?
- Determine the integration mechanism by considering what needs to happen to the object after it enters the Inbox.
There are two kinds of integration with the Inbox:
- Consider the following best practices:
- Only interact with the Inbox through the methods in the Universal Inbox business service. (Do not edit Inbox fields directly.)
- Do not customize fields in the Inbox.
- Once an Inbox item has been deactivated for a given owner, it cannot be reactivated. Instead, create a new Inbox item for that owner.