Siebel Communications Server Administration Guide > Configuring Communications Templates >
Editing and Formatting Controls for Template Text
For email or fax templates, you can edit and format your template text, using controls in an editing bar that appears when you click in the Text field in the Simple tab or Advanced tab.
NOTE: HTML formatting does not apply to templates for channels other than email or fax, even if the HTML Template check box is checked. Any formatting is stripped out when such a template is used.
You can use the editing controls, such as those for clipboard operations, without applying HTML formatting.
For an HTML email or fax template, formatting you apply in the Text field is preserved when the template is saved. For a plain-text template, such formatting is stripped out when the template is saved.
NOTE: If you change the setting of the HTML Template check box, the change is not apparent until you step off the record to display another template record, then re-select this template record. In particular, note that if you uncheck this box, the HTML formatting controls will still be available, and formatted text is not immediately converted to plain text. However, when the template is saved, any formatting you applied is removed.
Managing Line Breaks for HTML and Plain-Text Templates
The following behavior regarding line breaks applies to both plain-text and HTML templates:
- Pressing ENTER creates a new paragraph.
- Pressing SHIFT+ENTER creates a new line.
Managing Links and HTML Elements from Other Sources
For email messages, you can enter URL or mailto links directly and they will be automatically converted to links if the template is saved as HTML. (This behavior may not apply to email sent using third-party email clients.) For example:
Graphics or other tag-based elements displayed on Web pages, such as horizontal rules or tables, may be selectable by dragging the mouse pointer. In some cases, such elements can be copied and pasted into the template text.
NOTE: Content other than text or HTML tag elements cannot be added directly to the template text. For example, you cannot copy and paste graphics or other files into the template text. (For advanced templates, graphics can be specified using template items.)
Editing and Formatting Options
The editing and formatting options for your template text include, from left to right:
- Find/Replace. Click the arrow to display the Find controls above the editing bar, or to hide these controls. When the Find controls appear above the editing bar, click the arrow on the left to toggle between the Find controls and the Find and Replace controls. Enter text to find, or enter replacement text, then click Go. Find operations are not case-sensitive.
- Cut. Click to cut selected text to the clipboard.
- Copy. Click to copy selected text to the clipboard.
- Paste. Click to paste text from the clipboard into the template text. Depending on the source, text you paste may include HTML formatting.
- Font. Choose a font from a drop-down list to apply to selected text. Available fonts include Arial (the default), Verdana, Times New Roman, and Courier.
- Size. Choose a size from a drop-down list to apply to selected text. Point sizes include 8 (the default), 10, 12, 14, 18, 24, 36.
- Font Color. Click the arrow to display font colors above the editing bar, then click to choose a color to apply to selected text.
- Bold. Click to apply bold formatting to selected text, or to remove bold.
- Italic. Click to apply italic formatting to selected text, or to remove italics.
- Underline. Click to apply underlining to selected text, or to remove underlining.
- Ordered List. Click to apply numbering to selected text (make it an ordered list), or to remove numbering.
- Unordered List. Click to apply bullets to selected text (make it an unordered list), or to remove bullets. Bullets appear differently at different levels of indenting.
- Indent. Click to increase indenting for selected paragraphs.
- Outdent. Click to decrease indenting for selected paragraphs (outdent).
- Left Align. Click to left-align selected paragraphs.
- Center Align. Click to center selected paragraphs.
- Right Align. Click to right-align selected paragraphs.