Siebel Consumer Goods Guide > Getting Started > Selected Setup Procedures >
Periods appear in drop-down lists for the end users to populate the Period field in various screens. Table 5 describes how periods are used with the features of Consumer Goods.
Table 5. Consumer Goods Features That Use Periods
Periods designate when the promotion will be active (or effective).
Sales Volume Planning
You must create periods to represent the units of time you will be working with in the sales volume planning process. For example, if your company is preparing to perform sales volume planning for the year 2001 and divides its sales volume estimates into weekly amounts, you should create periods called Week 01 - 2001,
Week 02 - 2001, and so forth through Week 52 - 2001.
Carefully consider the periods you will be creating for Sales Volume Planning.
Sales Volume Period Types cannot be aggregated into each other to aggregate periodic data. For example, period types Week 01, 2001 through Week 04, 2001 cannot be aggregated to create data for Month 01, 2001. Similarly, period types Month 01, 2001 through Month 12, 2001 cannot be aggregated to create data for Year 2001.
The following section describes the procedures for setting up periods for use with Siebel Consumer Goods applications.
CAUTION: Periods are sorted chronologically by their start date. Therefore, you must not create periods that have the same period type and start date.
To create a period
- Navigate to the Administration - Data screen > Periods view.
- Create a new period definition record.
- Select the value in the Type field that corresponds to the unit for time the delivery period spans (such as Week or Month).
NOTE: If an appropriate value is not available in the Period Type list of values, you can create it, as is also described in this section.
- Select the first and last days of the delivery period in the Start date and End date fields.
- Complete the necessary fields.
Creating Values for the Period Type List of Values
The seed data delivered with Siebel Consumer Goods applications includes the Period Type values—Day, Week, Bi-Weekly, Month, Quarter, Half-year, Year, and Season. If you want to create periods for intervals that are not represented by one of these values, you should create a new value. For example, if you want to create half-month periods, you should create a Period Type value named Bi-Monthly.
See Table 5 for additional information about the period Types that are applicable to various features.
The Season Period Type value is required for the creation of seasonal period records. If the Season value is inadvertently deleted from the Period Type list of values in your database, you must restore it.
To add values to the Period Type list of values
- Navigate to the Administration - Data screen > List of Values view.
- In the Type field, query for PERIOD_TYPE.
NOTE: For details on how to query from a multivalue pop-up window, see Fundamentals.
- Select any of the Period Type records displayed by the query.
- Click Menu and choose Copy Record.
The record is duplicated in the List of Values list.
- Select the new record and enter a name in the Display Value field.
- In the Order field, enter a number to specify the order in which the value appears in the Period Type list of values.
NOTE: Each Period Type record must have a unique Order value.
- Complete the necessary fields.
For detailed information on administration tasks for lists of values, see the Applications Administration Guide.