Going Live with Siebel Business Applications > Rolling Out Updates to Mobile Clients >
Preparing to Use the Siebel Packager Utility
Before using the Siebel Packager utility, follow the steps in this topic. This task is a part of the Process of Rolling Out Updates to Mobile Clients.
For background information on Siebel Packager and rolling out customizations to mobile clients, see About Rolling Out Updates to Mobile Clients.
For instructions on installing Siebel clients, see the Siebel Installation Guide for the operating system you are using.
NOTE: This chapter refers to the Siebel client root directory, such as
C:\program files\Siebel\7.7\Web client, as SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT.
To prepare to use the Packager utility
- Perform a Siebel client installation on the computer on which you will run the Packager utility.
The Packager uses the files from this model client installation (or another client installation, as specified when running the Packager) in creating the installation package.
During Siebel client installation, select Typical, or select Custom and make sure to select the Packager Utility option.
NOTE: If two Siebel clients are installed on the same computer, where one is used as a Mobile Web Client and the other is a master installation for Packager, make sure to exit the SQL Anywhere engine before running Packager. An installation that has an initialized local database should never be used as a master installation for creating packages.
- Customize the model Siebel client installation so that it is identical to how you intend to package it. When you create the custom installer, the Packager utility reproduces this model installation.
If you have custom Siebel repository file (SRF) or configuration files (CFG), report files, Web templates, or other changes or additions, copy them to the appropriate subdirectories under SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT, or under the root directory of another installation that you will use to create the custom installation package. Make sure your custom files are the latest version so they pass version check. For more information please see FAQ 1361 on Siebel SupportWeb.
NOTE: The Packager utility can package only those files that reside in the SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT directory.
- Make sure that you have sufficient free disk space on the computer on which you are installing the Packager utility and will create packages.
During the packaging process, the Packager utility temporarily requires at least:
- Three times the amount of disk space required by the Siebel Mobile Web Client software you are packaging, and
- Twice the disk space required by the third-party software (provided with the Siebel Business Application) that you are packaging.