Siebel Reports Administration Guide > Understanding Your Reports Development Environment > How the Siebel Application and Actuate Interact >
Running a Siebel Report from Actuate e.Report Designer Professional
You can run a Siebel report from Actuate e.Report Designer Professional connected to a Siebel Dedicated Web Client. You can see the run-time behavior of the Siebel report, set break points, and so on.
To run a Siebel report from Actuate e.Report Designer Professional
- If a Siebel Dedicated Web Client is running on your desktop, close it. Open the Actuate e.Report Designer Professional software.
- Choose File > Open and navigate to aclist.rod in \
If your installation uses a non-English version of Siebel eBusiness Applications, you do not have an \ENU folder. Instead, you have a folder in the appropriate language code for your installation, such as \DEU for German.
See the Global Deployment Guide on the Siebel Bookshelf for a list of three-letter International Standards Organization (ISO) language extensions.
- Click the Run button to compile and execute the report.
- Click OK to accept any defaults on the Requester dialog box that appears.
The Requester dialog box contains a listing of the parameters for the report such as ssOLEServer and ssPassword.
This provides the means to communicate parameter values to the report.
- You might see an error message, such as:
OLE Server couldn't be started.
Continue to click OK on any other subsequent error messages and close the Actuate Output window.
- Open Siebel Sales Dedicated Web Client from the Start menu.
- From the application-level menu, choose Navigate > Site Map > Opportunities > Opportunities.
The wrong view is intentionally being opened to demonstrate the result.
Return to Actuate e.Report Designer Professional with the Siebel application still open.
- Run the report again by clicking the Run button.
- Click OK to accept any defaults on the Requester dialog box.
The report produced contains information different from the information contained in the My Opportunities list.
- Click the View Report button on the Actuate e.Report Professional tool bar and return to the Siebel Sales application.
- From the application-level menu, choose Navigate > Site Map > Accounts > Accounts.
- From the Show drop-down list, choose My Accounts.
- Return to Actuate e.Report Designer Professional and click the Run button.
This time, the Account List report should run successfully.
This exercise demonstrates that a Siebel report does not run locally in Actuate unless two conditions are met:
- A Siebel Dedicated Web Client application is running, making the Siebel software available as an OLE container.
- The current view in the application is based on the correct business object for supplying data to the report being run. In the case of the example, a report listing account data requires that a view based on the Accounts business object be active.
Since a user executes Siebel reports only from the views in which they are designed to be run, these kinds of errors do not occur in a properly configured Siebel application.
Note that when the user restricts the data in the view with a query, only the data meeting the query constraints appears in the report. The Siebel application passes only the data from the current query to the Actuate viewer.