Configuring Siebel Business Applications > Reusing Predefined Objects >
Reasons to Reuse or Not Reuse a Predefined Object
This topic describes reasons to reuse or not reuse predefined object.
Reasons to Avoid Extensive Customization of Siebel CRM
Customization is the act of performing significant changes to the predefined product, such as making the following changes:
- Creating new modules that do not exist in the predefined Siebel application. This work typically involves customizing the database, and creating many new business components and business objects.
- Modifying a significant number of predefined objects.
- Making significant changes to predefined behavior, such as visibility.
- Writing a significant amount of custom scripts.
Inappropriate customization of Siebel CRM can cause the following problems:
- Decreased maintainability.
- Increased cost of ownership.
- Potential for decreased performance. A predefined Siebel application is tuned for performance.
- Potential affect on future upgrades.
- Increased testing effort.
- Inconsistent application behavior.
Why Reusing Objects Is Important
Reuse involves building components that you can reuse and customize. Reuse allows you to limit the amount of customization in your deployment. Any changes to the predefined configuration must maximize reuse and allow for easy customization. There are several ways to reuse components in Siebel CRM. For example:
- Use predefined configuration objects. For example, business components, business objects, links, applets, views, and so forth.
- Use Siebel declarative techniques and tools to translate business requirements into application behavior. For example, Siebel Tools, workflow, personalization, run-time events, and state model.