Siebel Service Handheld Guide > Working with Siebel Handheld Applications > Synchronizing Data on Your Handheld Device >
Using Direct Server Synchronization with the Siebel Handheld Application Client
There are two methods for synchronizing between the handheld device and the Siebel Handheld Application Server:
- Direct Server Synchronization (DSS) provides synchronization between the Siebel Handheld application and the Siebel Handheld Application Server.
- Direct Server Synchronization via Proxy (DSSvP) provides synchronization between the Siebel Handheld application and the Siebel Handheld Application Server, using the desktop or companion PC to provide the network connection between the handheld device and the server.
To synchronize with the Siebel Handheld Application Server
- If you are synchronizing using DSS, create a direct network connection through a modem or a direct LAN connection.
If you are synchronizing using DSSvP, establish an ActiveSync connection between the handheld device and the PC.
- Start the synchronization process from the application-level menu.
For information about how to start synchronization from the application-level menu, see the online help for the Siebel Handheld application.
- Enter your user name and password.
- Tap Start.
The Siebel Handheld Sync dialog box appears.
- Tap OK to exit Siebel Handheld Sync dialog, and the application launches automatically. If synchronization errors occur, an error dialog box appears.
NOTE: DSS works if the version of the Siebel Handheld application on your handheld device is slightly different to the version installed on your server. However, it is recommended that versions of the Siebel Handheld application on your device be the same or as close as possible to the Siebel Handheld application version on the server.