Siebel Loyalty Administration Guide > Setting Up Siebel Loyalty Promotions >
About Creating Loyalty Promotions
To create a promotion, you use at least five types of records:
- Promotion. The Promotion record includes general information about the promotion, such as its name, the dates when it is active, and whether it requires member enrollment.
- Rule. A promotion is made up of one or more rules. The rule record includes general information about each rule, such as its name and the sequence in which it fires. A rule can be thought of as a combined if-then statement; if all of its criteria are met, then one or more actions take place.
- Criteria. Each rule includes one or more criteria. A transaction must meet all of these criteria for the rule to fire. If you think of a rule as an if-then statement, the criteria are the if portion.
- Attribute. An attribute is usually a field of a record. Criteria compare an attribute to a value or to another attribute. You must define the attribute before you can define the criteria.
- Action. Each rule includes one or more actions. These actions are executed when the rule fires. If you think of a rule as an if-then statement, the actions are the then portion.
In addition to the records already described, promotions may optionally include the following records:
- Products. When you create the Promotion record, you can specify that the promotion only applies to purchases of specific products or applies to all except specific products. If you do this, you must use the Products view of the Promotion screen to specify which products are included in or excluded from the promotion.
- Point Blocks. When you create the Promotion Record, you can limit the number of points that can be distributed through the promotion, by specifying that the promotion can only use point blocks that you create specifically for it. Then you must use the Point Blocks view of the Promotion screen to create the point blocks that the promotion uses. If you do not do this, the promotion uses any appropriate point blocks of its program.
- Tier. You can specify that the promotion applies only to certain tiers by adding these tiers in the Tiers view. For example, if you only add the Platinum tier in this view, the promotion will only give rewards to Platinum members, and only Platinum members will be able to see this promotion in eLoyalty.
For step-by-step examples of how to create rules for different types of loyalty promotions, see Loyalty Promotion Examples.