Siebel Performance Tuning Guide > Tuning Siebel Configurator for Performance > About Siebel Configurator Caching >
Default Caching Behavior for Siebel Configurator
The default caching behavior for Siebel Configurator is as follows:
- When a user starts a configuration session, Siebel Configurator looks for new cache update requests that affect objects in the cache. If there are new cache update requests that affect objects currently in the cache, Siebel Configurator updates or removes these objects.
- Siebel Configurator looks to see if the requested customizable product is cached in memory.
- If the customizable product is not already cached in memory, Siebel Configurator looks in the Configurator File System.
NOTE: The location of the Configurator File System is specified by the value of the Product Configurator - FS location parameter (alias eProdCfgCacheFS). If no value is specified for eProdCfgCacheFS, Siebel Configurator looks in the Siebel File System. For more information about the Configurator File System, see Specifying the Siebel Configurator File System Location.
- If the customizable product is not in the Configurator File System, it is loaded from the Siebel database. The product is added to the memory cache and to the Configurator File System.
- Thereafter, when a configuration session starts, the customizable product is loaded from the memory cache or the Configurator File System.
- Before loading the customizable product from the Configurator File System, the system checks the Siebel database to make sure each item in the product is the current version.
- If the cached product has changed in the database, the current version of the item is loaded from the database. This makes sure that the most recent version of a customizable product and its contents are loaded.
- When the product administrator releases a new version of a customizable product, the changes are written to the Siebel database and a cache update request is posted for the modified customizable product. The memory cache and the Configurator File System are not updated with the changes until the next configuration session is requested for the customizable product.
NOTE: It is recommended that you avoid the use of start or end dates in rules for customizable products. The arrival of a date does not cause the customizable product to be refreshed in the cache.