Siebel Portal Framework Guide > About Siebel Portal Framework >
Portal Framework Overview
Enterprises are often composed of many different information technology resources, such as:
- Shared network directories.
- Department intranet sites.
- Legacy applications.
- Applications developed in-house.
- Purchased Web applications.
With many disparate applications and technologies, IT resources are difficult to maintain and difficult to use. For example, applications:
- Follow different user interface guidelines.
- Are rendered with different themes.
- Track profile attributes differently.
- Vary in the quality of online assistance.
- Have separate login and password credentials.
- Have different search functionality.
One solution to this problem is to integrate the various applications and content sources used in an enterprise and present them in a single user interface, called a portal. The Siebel Portal Framework allows you to do this. The Portal Framework provides you with the tools and supporting technologies that allow you to:
- Aggregate external data with Siebel data and present it in the Siebel user interface.
- Deliver Siebel data to external applications.
- Integrate external application business logic and data with Siebel applications.