Siebel Server Sync Guide > Setting Up and Using Siebel Outlook Add-In > Process of Setting Up Siebel Outlook Add-In >
Initializing Siebel Outlook Add-In
This topic describes how to initialize the communication between Microsoft Outlook and Siebel Business Applications on each computer using the Siebel Outlook Add-In. It also describes how to configure the maximum number of unsuccessful attempts you can make to log in to the Siebel application from Microsoft Outlook Add-In when creating or updating the local cache before you must change the Siebel user name and password in Microsoft Outlook.
This task is a step in Process of Setting Up Siebel Outlook Add-In.
Initializing Siebel Outlook Add-In
The following procedure describes how to initialize Siebel Outlook Add-In.
To initialize Siebel Outlook Add-In
- Start Microsoft Outlook on the user's computer.
- In Microsoft Outlook, enter your Siebel user name and password as follows:
- Select Tools, Options, and then Siebel.
- Enter your Siebel user name in the User Name field and your Siebel password in the Password field, then click OK.
To ensure Siebel Outlook Add-In can connect to the Siebel instance to create or update the local cache, you must have enabled Web Client Automation as described in Setting Enterprise Server Parameters and Enabling Web Client Automation for Outlook Add-In.
- In Microsoft Outlook, select any calendar, contact, or task record (or create a new record if one does not exist), choose Siebel Options, and then choose Link Selected Item(s).
- When you are prompted to start the Siebel application, open a browser window, navigate to the URL for your Siebel application, and then log in.
The Siebel client connects to the Siebel instance using the Web Client Automation server. The Siebel client calls a built-in business service that returns the EAI URL and the messaging parameters set previously, as described in Setting Enterprise Server Parameters and Enabling Web Client Automation for Outlook Add-In. The Siebel client then disconnects from the local Siebel instance and uses the EAI Object Manager information that it collected to populate the local cache. This process can take several minutes.
The Siebel Add-In Update Agent is started and appears in the system tray of your Windows desktop.
- Wait five minutes to allow time for the creation of the local cache file.
Configuring the Maximum Number of Unsuccessful Siebel Login Attempts
If you enter an incorrect Siebel password in Microsoft Outlook when initializing the Siebel Outlook Add-In client (see Step 2), the client cannot connect to the Siebel application to create or update the local cache. In these circumstances, Siebel Outlook Add-In prompts you to log in to a new Siebel session. If you log in successfully, the local cache is created or updated. However, if you enter an invalid Siebel password three times in a row (by default, the maximum number of attempts permitted), your are locked out of your Siebel account until you change the Siebel password in Microsoft Outlook.
To avoid password lockouts, use the following procedure to change the maximum number of unsuccessful attempts you can make to log in to the Siebel application before Siebel Outlook Add-In requires that you manually change the Siebel password in Microsoft Outlook.
To configure the maximum number of unsuccessful Siebel login attempts
- In the Windows Registry, navigate to the following entry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siebel Systems, Inc.\Siebel Outlook Add-In\MaxErrorCount
- Change the value of this parameter to the maximum number of Siebel login attempts you want to allow. The default value of the MaxErrorCount parameter is 3.