Siebel Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows > Creating the Siebel Installation Image on the Network > Creating a Siebel Installation Image >
Running Siebel Image Creator in GUI Mode
This topic is part of Creating a Siebel Installation Image.
This topic describes how to run Siebel Image Creator in GUI mode. See also Running Siebel Image Creator in Console Mode.
To create a Siebel installation image
- Review the information presented in Obtaining Siebel Installation Media Files and Siebel Installation Media Contents.
- Review the issues described in Preparing to Create a Siebel Installation Image. In particular, determine where the Siebel media files reside and where to create the Siebel image.
- (For download customers) Obtain the Siebel media ZIP files, as described in Obtaining Siebel Installation Media Files. Then extract the JAR files from the ZIP files.
- Log on to the server on which you will run the Siebel Image Creator utility.
- Navigate to the directory where you placed the Siebel media JAR files and the Image Creator utility and its related files. For example, you might navigate to a directory like D:\Siebel_Install_Image\JAR_22.214.171.124 (on Windows) or /export/home/Siebel_Install_Image/JAR_126.96.36.199 (on UNIX).
- Run the Image Creator utility from the JAR files directory.
- On Windows, run Windows_ImageCreator.exe.
- On UNIX platforms, run UNIX_OS_ImageCreator, where UNIX_OS is AIX, HPUX, Linux, or Solaris.
NOTE: If you need to force overwriting of existing files in a Siebel Image Creator session, run the utility from a command line and include the options
-args Overwrite=yes. (The default behavior is equivalent to using
Overwrite=no.) See also Troubleshooting Siebel Image Creation.
The utility displays the message Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for the Siebel Image Creator Utility.
- Click Next to proceed.
- Specify whether you will create a new image (or add products to an existing image) or add languages to an existing image. Click Next.
- Specify the directory in which the image is to be created. For example, you might navigate to a directory like D:\Siebel_Install_Image. You can enter a directory (which must be an absolute path) or click Browse to specify the directory. Click Next.
For guidelines for creating directories for Siebel images, see Preparing to Create a Siebel Installation Image.
- If applicable, specify the version for the Siebel image.
The image version is automatically derived from the presence of one or more Siebel media JAR files for Siebel products in the directory from which you are running Image Creator. (If JAR files exist representing multiple versions, then you can specify one of the applicable versions.)
The version determines the version-specific subdirectory in which the image will be created or added to, such as 188.8.131.52.
If you are adding products to an existing image, go to Step 12.
If you are adding languages to an existing image, go to Step 14.
- Specify the application type for this network image:
- Specify one or more platforms to include in your version-specific Siebel image. You can specify Windows, AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris. Click Next.
You can specify one or more platforms to include in your image. In general, include all platforms for which you will implement one or more Siebel products. You can add platforms and products to the image later. See also Cross-Platform Issues in Creating Siebel Image Directories.
For more information about contents of the Siebel media, see Siebel Installation Media Contents.
- Specify the products to include in your version-specific Siebel image. Click Next.
Each product can be selected by clicking its checkbox. The list of products that appears applies to the application type you specified in Step 11. The listed products represent the superset of client and server products, including third-party products, that are supported for all platforms by this version of the Image Creator utility.
Selected products will be included in the image for each platform to which they apply. Some products do not apply to certain platforms. For example, Siebel Tools applies only to Windows.
For more information about the contents of the Siebel media, see Siebel Installation Media Contents.
- Specify all languages you want to include in the Siebel image. When you are ready to begin creating the Siebel installation image based on your selections, click Next.
Languages are included for each selected or existing product, where they apply. Languages do not apply to some products, such as Siebel Encryption, or third-party products. For information about Siebel Tools and the ENU Language Pack, see Siebel Installation Media Contents.
NOTE: If you are adding products to an existing image, you must specify all languages previously included in the image, in order to be able to install these products correctly.
Image Creator now processes all Siebel media JAR files in the current directory, and includes all selected products and languages in the version-specific Siebel image subdirectory of the directory specified in Step 9. Image Creator displays the current processing status.
- If all Siebel media JAR files matching your selections were found in the current directory, Image Creator completes creating or adding to the Siebel image. Go to Step 16.
- If one or more JAR files matching your selections were not found in the current directory, the utility prompts for the location of the next file. Go to Step 15.
- Specify the location of the indicated Siebel media JAR file. You can enter a directory (must be an absolute path) or click Browse to specify the directory. Click Next.
For example, assume, for a version 8.0 image, that you selected the Windows platform and the Siebel Charts product (which is based on Visual Mining NetCharts), but Image Creator could not locate the file SBA_184.108.40.206_Base_Windows_Visual_Mining_Netcharts_Server.jar. Specify the location of this file, and click Next. If the file is found, it will be processed and the product it represents will be included in your image.
If you do not have the current media JAR file, you may need to obtain required Siebel media from Oracle before proceeding. Place the JAR file in the specified directory before clicking Next. If all remaining Siebel media files matching your selections were found in the current directory, Image Creator completes creating or adding to the Siebel image.
If you decide that you do not require the product or language represented by the current media file to be included in the image at this time, click Next again. You will be prompted to either skip the file (Skip) or look for the file in another directory (Select). You may need to rerun Image Creator later to add items that were previously skipped because of missing JAR files. See also Troubleshooting Siebel Image Creation.
- After all products or languages have been added to the Siebel image, or skipped, Image Creator indicates that the Siebel image has been successfully created. Click Finish.