Siebel Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows > Installing Siebel Mobile Web Clients >
Using Siebel QuickStart with the Siebel Mobile Web Client
Siebel QuickStart is an application feature for the Siebel Mobile Web Client that, when enabled, preloads the Siebel application on a mobile user's machine at start-up, reducing the time required to launch the client. Siebel QuickStart is enabled and loaded for the first time from the Siebel application login screen. If it is enabled, it affects all subsequent login and Siebel application sessions for the same application.
Siebel QuickStart has two main components:
- Siebel QuickStart agent. The agent represents the Siebel application that is preloaded when the user logs into Windows, or that remains loaded after logging out of the application.
- Siebel QuickStart Service. This Windows service launches the QuickStart agent when the user logs into Windows. This service runs automatically by default. If the user selected Enable Siebel QuickStart in the login screen in a previous Siebel application session (and in a previous Windows session), the service launches the Siebel QuickStart agent to preload the Siebel application.
NOTE: Siebel QuickStart can be used with the Siebel Mobile Web Client when connecting to the local database only. It does not apply to the Sample Database, and it does not apply to the Siebel Web Client or Developer Web Client.
Siebel QuickStart applies to subsequent instances of the same type of Siebel application session—running the same application as the same user and with the same start-up options. Before enabling Siebel QuickStart for a different type of Siebel application session, users must disable Siebel QuickStart for an existing application session.
The speed increase provided by QuickStart does not take effect on the initial Siebel login. Subsequent logins of the same type of Siebel application session benefit from QuickStart, until the user disables QuickStart.
The Windows service Siebel QuickStart Service shuts down during the application session, to conserve resources. The service restarts the next time Windows is restarted. The QuickStart agent remains running during the Windows session unless the user has disabled QuickStart, as described in this topic. The QuickStart agent runs under the Local System account and stays running even if the user logs out of Windows and logs back in again, unless the user has logged out of the Siebel application and disabled QuickStart from the Siebel icon in the system tray.
If Siebel QuickStart (agent) is enabled but the Windows service Siebel QuickStart Service is disabled, the Siebel application remains loaded after the user exits the application, providing quick access when the user relaunches the application. However, if the user logs out of Windows, the Siebel application does not preload when the user logs back in to Windows.
The QuickStart agent runs, and remains running at least for the rest of the user's Windows session, in the following Siebel Mobile Web Client usage cases—unless the user disables QuickStart or logs out of the Siebel application. All cases apply only when Siebel QuickStart Service is set to either Automatic or Manual.
- After the user has launched the Siebel application for the first time and initialized the local database.
- After the user has launched the Siebel application by supplying login credentials from the command line.
- After the user has launched the Siebel application and checked Enable QuickStart in the login screen.
- After the user has logged into Windows when Enable QuickStart was specified in a previous Siebel application session (and in a previous Windows session).
Siebel QuickStart stores the encrypted Siebel user name and password in the file mwc_storage.cfg, located in SIEBEL_CLIENT_ROOT\bin. Do not modify this file yourself. For more information about the encryption used in this file, see Siebel Remote and Replication Manager Administration Guide.
Enabling and Disabling Siebel QuickStart
Instructions are provided in the following procedures for enabling and disabling Siebel QuickStart agent and the Windows service Siebel QuickStart Service.
To enable Siebel QuickStart
- Start a Siebel application with the Mobile Web Client and the local database. For example, double-click the shortcut for Siebel Call Center for your applicable language.
- In the Siebel login screen, check the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box, and log in.
The QuickStart agent is loaded into memory for the rest of the Windows session, and is loaded again when the user logs into Windows subsequently, unless the user disables it. If you disable the service Siebel QuickStart Service, the agent stays loaded into memory for the rest of the Windows session only.
To disable Siebel QuickStart from the login screen
- Start a Siebel application with the Mobile Web Client. For example, double-click the shortcut for Siebel Call Center for your applicable language.
- In the Siebel login screen, clear the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box (if it is checked), and log in.
The QuickStart agent is not loaded for this Siebel application session, and does not load subsequently unless it is explicitly specified. You may also choose to disable the service Siebel QuickStart Service.
To disable Siebel QuickStart from the system tray
To disable the Windows service Siebel QuickStart Service
- Navigate to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then Services.
- Select Siebel QuickStart Service and click Action, then Properties.
- Change the startup type for this service from Automatic to Disabled.
The service Siebel QuickStart Service will no longer run automatically when you log in. If you want to reenable it, change the startup type back to Automatic.
Options for the Siebel Icon in the System Tray
When the Siebel application is running or the QuickStart agent is loaded, an icon appears in the system tray. Right-clicking this icon displays several choices:
- Exit. Exits the QuickStart agent for the current Windows session. This option is available only when the QuickStart agent is loaded and the Siebel application is not running. If QuickStart is enabled, the agent loads again the next time the user starts the Siebel application the same way, or starts Windows.
- Disable On Startup. Disables Siebel QuickStart the next time the user starts the Siebel application or starts Windows. Also exits the QuickStart agent, in the manner described in the previous topic. This option is available only when the QuickStart agent is loaded and the Siebel application is not running or was not started using Siebel QuickStart Service. This option also disables Siebel QuickStart Service.
- About. Displays information about Siebel applications. This option is available when the Siebel application or the QuickStart agent are running, or both.
- Help. Displays Siebel Online Help. This option is available when the Siebel application or the QuickStart agent are running, or both.
Using View Precaching with Siebel QuickStart
When the QuickStart agent is loaded, views specified using the parameters in the [Preload] section of the configuration file, such as siebel.cfg, are preloaded (precached) during start-up of the Siebel application. In subsequent application sessions, navigating to a precached view is faster.
In the [Preload] section, specify the names of the views to be precached as the values for configuration parameters named
View2, and so on.
For more information about specifying configuration file parameters, see Siebel System Administration Guide.
QuickStart and AutoStopDB Configuration Parameter
When you are using Siebel QuickStart, you may also decide to set the configuration parameter
FALSE for the local database. Both of these features have a similar performance benefit when the Siebel application is started and exited multiple times within the same Windows session.
AutoStopDB parameter is specified in the [Local] section of the application configuration file, such as uagent.cfg for Siebel Call Center. For more information, see Siebel System Administration Guide.