Siebel Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows > Installing Siebel Tools >
Requirements for Siebel Tools Installation
Before you install Siebel Tools, check the following requirements:
- Your client platform must meet the requirements defined in Siebel System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Oracle Technology Network.
- You must have all the third-party software required for your implementation installed, including the database connectivity software for your chosen RDBMS. See Siebel System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Oracle Technology Network.
- You must have installed and configured the Siebel Enterprise Server software, as described in Installing Siebel Enterprise Server and Related Components and Configuring Siebel Enterprise Server and Related Components.
- You must have created the Siebel Database and installed the Siebel schema and seed data, as described in Configuring the RDBMS and Configuring the Siebel Database. This database stores the Siebel Tools project repositories.
A local database can also be initialized for each developer user, as applicable. For more information, see Configuring Siebel Business Applications and Using Siebel Tools.
NOTE: The Siebel Tools Client can also access demonstration data in the Siebel Sample Database, which you can install with the Siebel Mobile Web Client. For more information, see Installing the Siebel Sample Database and related topics.
- For Microsoft SQL Server deployments, the correct version of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) and Microsoft SQL Native Client (SNAC) must be installed before you install the Siebel Tools Client. For version information, see Siebel System Requirements and Supported Platforms on Oracle Technology Network.
The Siebel Tools Client uses these drivers, but creates its own ODBC data source during installation. Record this data source on the worksheet in Deployment Planning Worksheet.
- To create system data sources, you must modify the
SystemDSN parameter in the siebel.ini file before running the Siebel Tools installation. For information about how to modify the
SystemDSN parameter in the siebel.ini file, see Verifying ODBC Data Sources for Siebel Mobile Web Client and Developer Web Client.
- The sort order for the Siebel Database for development environments must be set to binary. If it is set otherwise, you cannot compile or merge repositories.
- The Siebel Business Rules Developer, which is based on the HaleyAuthority product from Haley Systems, is installed by default with Siebel Tools. It can be excluded from an installation if you choose the Custom install type and deselect the Siebel Business Rules Developer option. You cannot add Siebel Business Rules Developer later to an existing installation of Siebel Tools. You must install a new instance of Siebel Tools that includes Siebel Business Rules Developer.
- Only one instance of the Siebel Business Rules Developer can be installed on a machine at the same time. If Siebel Tools was previously installed with Siebel Business Rules Developer, do not attempt to install another instance of Siebel Tools with Siebel Business Rules Developer on the same machine.
- After you have installed Siebel Tools with the Siebel Business Rules Developer, the Add or Remove Programs panel lists the underlying HaleyAuthority product as a separate item. It is recommended to use this option if you need to uninstall the HaleyAuthority product, whether or not you are also uninstalling Siebel Tools. See also Uninstalling Siebel Tools.
- Administrative rights are required for installation or uninstallation of the Siebel Tools Client. For information on setting administration rights, consult the operating system manuals for the version of Microsoft Windows on which you are installing the Siebel client software.
For information about uninstalling Siebel Tools Client software, see Uninstalling Siebel Tools.