Siebel Master Data Applications Reference for Industry Applications > Configuring Siebel Master Data Applications > Configuring Siebel Master Data Application Features >
About UCM Data Management Services
Siebel Universal Customer Master (Siebel UCM) provides the following data management services to cleanse, identify, and link incoming source data to the master data records. These services are invoked through the Siebel Enterprise Application Integration (Siebel EAI) interface and can process single or multiple records. Records updated directly within Siebel UCM application also trigger similar data management services but do not trigger survivorship rules.
- Account Data Management Service
- Contact Data Management Service
These services take an incoming Account or Contact record and:
- Check the system privilege of the application submitting the record
- Cross-reference the record if external account ID is provided
- Create the UUID for the record if the record is new
- Call the data cleansing engine to standardize and validate account or contact name and address
- Perform an exact match process based on configured parameter (default is external account ID for account records; external contact ID for contact records).
- If no exact match found, call data matching engine to perform fuzzy matching (default is Account name for account records; default is Contact first name and last name for contact records) to further identify possible duplication.
NOTE: Siebel UCM provides embedded data matching and cleansing third-party software (SSA). The Siebel Data Quality module is licensed separately from Siebel UCM. See Siebel Data Quality Administration Guide and your third-party data quality provider documentation for further information. See also,Configuring Siebel Data Quality Cleansing for Siebel UCM.
Depending on the matching score returned from the data matching engine, UCM can create a new record, link to an existing record, or store the incoming record for further investigation by the data steward. By default the data matching engine returns two threshold scores, an auto threshold score (upper) and manual threshold scores (lower), numbered on a scale of 0-100. These threshold numbers are configurable using Siebel Tools. The matching score results in the following three scenarios:
- When the incoming record is matched above the upper threshold, Siebel UCM applies survivorship rules to merge the incoming record with an existing record in Siebel UCM. For information on survivorship and details on setting up the rules, see Process of Creating Survivorship Rules. When the incoming record is matched below the lower threshold, Siebel UCM creates a new record and publishes a new-record message to other external systems. For information on publishing and subscribing, see Configuring System Publish and Subscribe for Siebel Master Data Applications.
- When the incoming record is matched in between the upper and the lower threshold numbers, Siebel UCM stores the record in the deduplication table (S_UCM_DEDUP) for further investigation. Data stewards can view the pending records in the Incoming Duplicates-Account or Contact screen.
- Configure your matching threshold and the data engine matching rules based on your organization's data quality standards.