Siebel Anywhere Administration Guide > Siebel Anywhere Concepts > How Siebel Anywhere Is Used >
Process of Using Siebel Anywhere
The process for using Siebel Anywhere consists of the following steps:
- Determine your upgrade requirements. For instructions concerning this step, see Determining Upgrade Requirements.
- As a Siebel system administrator, create any required configurations, dynamic configuration assignments, and components. For a discussion of components and configurations, see Crucial Siebel Anywhere Terminology. For instructions concerning this step, see Creating Needed Infrastructure Elements.
- Define an upgrade kit to meet your requirements. For instructions concerning this step, see Defining Upgrade Kits.
- Activate the upgrade kit. Activating a kit gathers the files to be included in the upgrade kit and compresses them into a single archive on the Siebel File System. For instructions concerning this step, see Activating an Upgrade Kit.
- Apply the upgrade kit. Applying a kit updates a compiled information string with the component version information. For instructions concerning this step, see Applying an Upgrade Kit.
- Distribute the upgrade kit to test users for testing. Test users are specified by a membership in a test configuration. For instructions concerning this step, see Distributing Upgrade Kits.
- As a client belonging to the test configuration, test the upgrade kit by using one of the following methods:
- For a required kit and a Mobile Web Client test user, test the kit by synchronizing.
- For a required kit and Dedicated Web Client test user, test the kit by logging in to the Siebel application.
- For an optional kit and either a Mobile Web Client test user or a Dedicated Web Client test user, test the kit by selecting and upgrading the applicable component from the Component Upgrades view in the User Preferences screen.
For further instructions concerning this step, see Retrieving, Installing, and Testing Upgrade Kits.
- As a Siebel system administrator, correct any problems discovered during testing. You may find helpful information in Troubleshooting for Siebel Anywhere. Repeat client testing as necessary.
- Use additional configurations to distribute the upgrade kit for wider use, and notify the appropriate users that it is available.
- Mobile users retrieve the upgrade by synchronizing (if the kit is required) or by using the Component Upgrades view in the User Preferences screen (if the kit is optional). Connected users are automatically prompted to retrieve the upgrade upon logging in to the Siebel application.
NOTE: As part of your planning process, you may also find it helpful to consult Supplementary Information for Specific Upgrade Types which contains additional useful information for particular kinds of upgrades.