Overview: Siebel eBusiness Application Integration Volume l > Understanding Integration Paradigms > About Usage Models >
About Using the Real-Time Model in Your Integration
With a real-time model, you may choose to deploy Siebel applications as a client or as a service. As a client, Siebel applications access another program or initiate a transaction on an external system. As a service, Siebel applications are accessed by an external program to query, insert, update, or delete data without any initiation from the Siebel application.
Typical scenarios involving Siebel application as a client include:
- Replicating data such as maintaining the SAP order number in the Siebel application, so users can relate Siebel orders to SAP orders.
- Accessing a mainframe system to retrieve customer account information in real time and display it within the Siebel application's interface.
- Sending sales opportunities to trading partners over your corporate firewall without compromising system security.
- Accessing an external system's function to check inventory and then displaying the results in a Siebel application.
Typical scenarios involving Siebel applications as a service include:
- An external Web application accessing a Siebel application to retrieve contact information.
- Call center software extracting service request information from a Siebel application.