Siebel Sales Handheld Guide > Installing the Handheld Application > Installing on the Siebel Handheld Application >
Installing Handheld for Direct Server Sync Users
Most DSS users do not have access to a PC for creating a partnership with their handheld device. In this case, the administrator has to create partnerships with each user's device and install the application. Siebel Handheld applications can be installed in DSS mode using the Siebel Installer as described in this section.
To install the Siebel Handheld application using DSS
- Using Microsoft ActiveSync, establish a partnership between the handheld device and the PC.
- On the PC network or DVD-ROM, locate the folder where the Siebel Handheld Application folder is installed, then double-click setup.exe.
The installation process begins.
- From the Choose Setup Language window, choose the language you want to use for the installation and click OK.
- At the Synchronization Options screen, choose the Direct Server Sync option and then click Next.
The next screen displays and asks, "Would you like to deploy a CAB file to enable rapid installation for additional devices?"
NOTE: If you want to create a stand-alone installer, choose Yes, and then click Next. See Reinstalling the Siebel Handheld Application for details.
- To install the application on the device, click Next.
- Select the desired language of the Siebel Handheld Application, and click Next.
A window appears showing the setup status, followed by several DOS windows.
- The Add/Remove Programs dialog appears. This is followed by the Installing Applications dialog that asks if you want to install in the default directory. Click Yes to install the Siebel Handheld application on the handheld device.
NOTE: The default directory in the Applications dialog is the directory specified by the system administrator in a setup file. So that the application works correctly, the Siebel Installer installs the application in the default directory. Therefore, even if you specify a different location for the application, the application is installed in the default location.
The Siebel Handheld installation automatically installs SSCE Service Pack 1 and overwrites existing files on your system. A message may appear asking if you want to replace existing files. Respond by tapping "Yes to All."
During the installation, the Installing Applications dialog box displays a progress bar. It may take several minutes to install on the handheld device. When the application has been downloaded to the handheld device, the Application Downloading Complete dialog box displays on the PC.
- Click OK.
A window appears informing you that setup has finished installing the Siebel Handheld application on your computer.
- Click Finish.
The Siebel Handheld and Siebel Handheld Sync icons appear in the Startup screen on the handheld device.
After installing the Siebel Handheld application and Siebel Handheld Sync, you must perform an initial synchronization before the application can be used. Refer to Synchronizing Data on the Siebel Handheld Device for the procedure for synchronizing your data.
See Data Filtering for more information on using Direct Server Sync and setting filters.