Product Administration Guide > Build Customizable Products >
Adding a Group of Products from Different Classes
The products you add to a relationship do not have to be from the same class. You can group products from several classes or products not assigned to a class into one relationship.
You do this by creating a relationship of domain type Class but without specifying a class. This allows you to select products from anywhere in the class system.
You can do anything with this relationship that you can do with other class-type relationships such as creating resources, configuration rules, and links.
The products you select must be orderable. To make a product orderable, place a check mark in the Orderable check box in the product record.
When you are finished adding products, you can verify your work by validating the customizable product. Validating a customizable product displays the selection pages a user sees during a configuration session. To validate the customizable product, from the Products Designer menu, choose Validate.
This method of defining a relationship domain requires a search throughout the class system each time the customizable product is instantiated. This can have an adverse impact on performance. Avoid using this method, if possible.
To add groups of products from different classes
- Navigate to Product Administration.
- Select and lock the desired customizable product.
- From the Customizable Product Show menu, choose Product Designer.
The Product Designer view appears.
- Add a New Record.
- Enter a Relationship name in the Relationship Name field.
- Open the drop-down menu in the Domain Type field and choose Class.
- Click in the Define Domain field and open the dialog box.
The Define Relationship Domain dialog box appears. Because you have not specified a class, the dialog box displays all products from all classes and subclasses.
- Use the buttons and fields in the dialog box to select the products you want to add to the relationship:
- Add column. Click the word Add in the record to add the product to the relationship. A check mark displays in the "Is in domain" field.
- Query button. Queries for the desired products in the class.
- Close button. Closes the dialog box.
- Add All button. Adds all the products in the class to the relationship.
- Set as Default button. Adds the product to the relationship and makes it the default product. In the Product Designer, the product name displays in the Default Product field at the relationship level.
- Clear Default button. Removes the product from the relationship's Default Product field. Does not remove the product from the relationship.
- Delete button. Removes the product from those you have selected to be in the relationship. Removes the check mark from the "Is in domain" field. Does not remove the product from the product class.
- Delete All button. Removes all the products from the relationship. No products display a check mark in the "Is in domain" field. Does not remove the products from the product class.
- When you have finished adding products, click Close in the dialog box.
In the Product Designer, the relationship icon displays as a folder.
- Enter the Min, Default, and Max Cardinalities for the relationship as needed.
- Click the folder to display the products you added.
- Enter the Min, Default, and Max Cardinalities for each item in the relationship as needed.
- Remove the check mark from the Forecastable field for items as needed.
Removing the check mark means the item will not be included in product forecasts when the opportunity is updated for quotes, orders, and so on contained the customizable product.
- For each product in the relationship, enter a sequence number in the Sequence Number Field.
The item with sequence number 1 displays first within the relationship in selection pages. If your display is not wide enough to show the Sequence Number field, manually adjust column widths to bring the Sequence Number field into view.