Product Administration Guide > Customizable Product Web Templates >
Modifying the Display Name of Items, an Example
You have a customizable product that includes a relationship called Hard Drives. This relationship contains several disk drives. Along with the name of each drive, you want to display a picture of the drive. You want to assign radio buttons as the UI control for selecting the drives.
To prepare for defining the UI Property
- Use the Product UI Designer to create the selection pages for configuring the customizable product.
- Validate the customizable product, and verify that the pages display correctly.
- Create a .gif or .jpg for each hard drive.
- Test each file by displaying it in a browser. Use the HTML <img> tag to set the exact size of each image. The <img> tag will be the value you assign to the UI Property variable.
To create a new UI control template and assign it to the Hard Drives relationship
- In the Product UI Designer, select the group containing the Hard Drives relationship.
- In Group Item List, select the Hard Drives relationship.
- Open the Pick UI Style dialog box and write down the name of the radio button template assigned to the relationship.
- Open the radio button template and save it to a new file name: eCfgModifiedRadioButton.swt
- Open the new template and locate the correct swe.control element.
- Set CfgFieldName= ".NewName".
The first character in the variable name must be a period (.). The variable name must be surrounded by quotes.
- Save the file.
- In the Product UI Designer Group Item List, select the relationship containing the hard drives.
- Open the Pick UI Style dialog box and click Add to add the new template.
- Select the new template as the control template for the Hard Drives relationship.
To define a UI property for each of the Hard Drives
- Open the User Interface Property Designer and select the first drive in the Hard Drives relationship.
- Define a UI property for it as follows:
- Name. NewName. Do not put a period before the name. This is the variable name you inserted in the template file.
- Value. Enter the HTML syntax for displaying the drive name and retrieving the image.
- Repeat these steps to define a UI property for each hard drive in the relationship.
- Open the Item Display Properties menu and click Validate.
This starts a configuration session. Verify that the item names display correctly.