Siebel Server Sync Guide > Siebel Server Sync Architecture Overview >
Required Components for SSSE
The SSSE server components, PIMSI Dispatcher and PIMSI Engine, handle several important functions in the synchronization process.
At regular, configurable intervals, PIMSI Dispatcher performs the following actions:
- Determines which users require synchronization within a synchronization cycle due to changes in Siebel data. For example, if 1000 users have synchronization enabled, Dispatcher identifies which of those users have had Siebel data change since the user's last successful synchronization.
- Sends a synchronization Task Request to PIMSI Engine for each user who has synchronization enabled and who requires synchronization due to changes in Siebel data.
- Sends a synchronization Task Request to PIMSI Engine for each user who has synchronization enabled, to synchronize any changes in that user's Exchange data since the user's last successful synchronization.
For each user who needs data synchronized, PIMSI Engine performs the following actions:
- Computes the incremental data change since the user's last successful synchronization
- Communicates with Exchange Connector to request data from Exchange Server
- Reads data from the Siebel database
- Performs data conflict detection and resolution
- Sends data to the Exchange Connector to be written to the user's mailbox on the Exchange Server
- Uses EAI methods to write data to the Siebel database
You can run PIMSI Engine components on multiple Siebel Servers in your Siebel Enterprise. If you set the MaxTasks and MaxMTServers parameters for the PIMSI Engine component appropriately, you can also have multiple PIMSI Engine processes running simultaneously on a Siebel Server host.
The following additional components are required for PIMSI Engine to communicate and synchronize data to and from the Exchange Server:
- EAI components. Siebel Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) is the primary means of communication with the Siebel database for the PIMSI Engine component. EAI includes Siebel Adapter, Data Mapper, and XML Converter.
- Exchange Connector. This is the liaison between PIMSI Engine and the Microsoft Exchange Server. The Exchange Connector can reside on the same machine as the Siebel Server that hosts PIMSI Engine components, or it can reside on a separate machine. The Exchange Connector uses several APIs to communicate with Exchange Server. The exact set of APIs that Exchange Connector uses may change over time, as needed for technical reasons. The Exchange Connector currently uses MAPI, ADO, WebDAV and ADSI APIs.