Oracle® Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition Deployment Guide > Clustering, Load Balancing, and Failover in Oracle Business Intelligence > Configuration of BI Components for Clustering, Load Balancing, and Failover >
Setting Parameters in the NQClusterConfig.INI File
This section describes the configuration of the NQClusterConfig.INI file to enable clustering, load balancing, and failover.
Accessing the NQClusterConfig.INI File
BI Cluster Controller, BI Server and BI Scheduler component instances use settings in the NQClusterConfig.INI file for operation in a BI cluster. This file is located in the following directory:
To access the NQClusterConfig.INI file
- Under Windows, access OracleBI_HOME\server\Config
- Under Linux or UNIX, access OracleBI_HOME/server/Config
Enabling Cluster Controller
Use the following procedure to enable the cluster controller.
To enable the cluster controller
- Set the parameter ENABLE_CONTROLLER to YES to allow the BI Server or BI Scheduler node to be controlled by the Cluster Controller for cluster operations.
Designating the Primary and Secondary Cluster Controllers
Use the following procedure to designate the primary and secondary cluster controllers.
To designate the cluster controllers
- Set the parameter PRIMARY_CONTROLLER to the machine hosting the Primary Cluster Controller.
- Set the parameter SECONDARY_CONTROLLER to the machine hosting the Secondary Cluster Controller.
Identifying the Servers Participating in the Cluster
Use the following procedure to identify the servers that are participating in the cluster
To identify the servers participating in the cluster
- Set the parameter SERVERS by entering, between double quotes, a comma-separated list of BI Server hostnames.
NOTE: Do not use Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDNs).
- Set the parameter SCHEDULERS to identify the BI Scheduler servers that will participate in the cluster by entering, between double quotes, a comma-separated list of Scheduler hostnames, RPC ports, and monitor ports. For example:
SCHEDULERS = "scheduler1:<rpc port>:<monitor port>", "scheduler2:<rpc port>:<monitor port>";
- <rpc port> is the port on which Scheduler listens for BI Presentation Services and Jpb Manager connections.
This is the port number specified in the Server Port Number parameter that is set during initial configuration of the BI Scheduler. The default port is 9705.
Refer to the chapter on configuring the BI Scheduler component in the Oracle Business Intelligence Infrastructure Installation and Configuration Guide.
- <monitor port> is the Scheduler port used by the Cluster Controller for life cycle monitoring.
This must match the port number set for the Cluster Monitor Port parameter during configuration of BI Scheduler for participation in the BI cluster. The default cluster monitor port is 9708. Refer to the topic Configuring BI Scheduler.
Designating the Master BI Server
Use the following procedure to designate the master BI server
To designate the master BI server
- Set the parameter MASTER_SERVER by entering, between double quotes, the host name of the Master BI Server machine.
Enabling Cluster Communication and Operation
Use the following procedure to enable cluster communication and operation.
NOTE: A copy of the NQClusterConfig.INI file configured for clustering must reside on all machines that host either a Cluster Controller, BI Server or BI Scheduler component that participates in the cluster.
To enable cluster communication and operation
- Set the parameter SERVER_POLL_SECONDS to the frequency of heartbeat messages between the Cluster Controller and the server nodes in the cluster. The default is 5 seconds,
- Set the parameter CONTROLLER_POLL_SECONDS to the frequency of heartbeat messages between the Cluster Controllers. The default is 5 seconds.
- Set the parameter CLIENT_SERVER_PORT port number to be the same as that of RPC_SERVICE_OR_PORT in the NQSConfig.INI file. This is the port that is used by the BI Server for client requests. The default is 9703.
- Set the parameter CLIENT_CONTROLLER_PORT port number to be used by the BI ODBC DSN for communication with the Cluster Controller. The default is 9706.
- Set the parameter MONITOR_CONTROLLER_PORT to the port used by Cluster Controllers for Cluster Controller to Cluster Controller communication. The default is 9700.
- Set the parameter MONITOR_SERVER_PORT to the port that is used by Cluster Controller for life cycle monitoring of BI Servers.