Oracle® Business Intelligence Presentation Services Administration Guide > Managing Presentation Catalogs Using Oracle BI Catalog Manager >
About Upgrading the Presentation Catalog to a Newer Version
You will need to upgrade your current Presentation Catalog with a newer version if your organization:
- Has prebuilt applications already installed, and
- Has customized the Presentation Catalog, and
- Receives a newer version of the Presentation Catalog
NOTE: If you made no changes to Presentation Catalog distributed with previous versions of prebuilt applications, you do not need to upgrade the catalog. You can begin using the newer version of the catalog.
Updating the Presentation Catalog makes use of three catalogs:
- The Original Presentation Catalog — This is the Presentation Catalog that you received with the currently-installed Oracle BI applications. It is also distributed at the root level of the installation CD-ROM as the folder OracleBI.
- The Current Presentation Catalog — This is the Presentation Catalog that is installed as the SADATADIR\web\catalog directory, where SADATADIR is the data directory.
- The Modified Presentation Catalog — This is the Presentation Catalog that you are currently using.
You use Catalog Manager to upgrade a Presentation Catalog. Catalog Manager compares the content in both the Current Presentation Catalog and the Modified Presentation Catalog with the content in the Original Presentation Catalog, merges any changes into the Current Presentation Catalog, and produces a list of upgrade differences, which you must resolve by indicating how you want the differences handled. If the Presentation Catalogs have conflicting content, you can choose which Presentation Catalog the content should be taken from. The end result is a merged Presentation Catalog that contains the site-specific changes, as well as new metadata.
For more information on how to upgrade a Presentation Catalog using Catalog Manager, see Oracle Business Intelligence Applications Upgrade Guide