Siebel Analytics Web Administration Guide > Administering Siebel Intelligence Dashboards > Configuring Report Write Back >
Write Back Configuration Tasks
The process of configuring write back fields consists of the following tasks. You need to customize these tasks for your specific implementation:
- Assess the reporting needs in your organization and make a list of write back fields needed and the reports in which they should appear.
- Create a physical table in your database that has a column for each write back field needed. In the table create statement, specify that the write back fields are non-null able.
NOTE: For optimum security, store write-back database tables in a unique database instance.
- Using the Administration Tool, configure the new table:
- Map the physical table into the logical model so that the logical fact columns are exposed and aggregate properly in the appropriate dimensions.
- Disable the Make Table Cacheable property for the write back table in the Physical Table window. This makes sure that data written back to the database is displayed to the user, and not a cached value.
- Enable write back for the connection pool.
- Set up the content filters so users can only access records appropriate to their position. For example, sales representatives can view only their own records, but the sales managers can view records for their direct reports.
For more information on the specific procedures, read Siebel Analytics Server Administration Guide.
- Create a write-back template that specifies the SQL necessary to both insert and update values into the table you created. For more information, read Creating a Write Back Template.
- In Siebel Analytics Web, grant write back privileges:
- For administrators and report writers, enable the Manage Write Back privilege. This action enables the Write Back properties window in Answers and enables the Write Back interaction type for columns.
- For administrators, report writers, and selected users, enable the Write Back to Database privilege. This action enables the user interface controls for write back (fields being editable and the presence of the write back button), and enables the server call that writes data back to the database.
For more information on granting privileges, read Setting Siebel Analytics Web Privileges.
- In Answers, configure write back reports:
- Create a report that contains a table view that uses the new columns.
- In the report, for each new column, edit the column format. Set the Column Interactions field to Write Back.
- If necessary, set key columns to be Hidden Keys in the column format dialog.
- Edit the Table View properties, enabling the write back feature, and specifying the name of the write back template, and the text for the write back button.
- Save the report.
- Embed the report in a dashboard page.
For more information on creating reports, read Siebel Analytics User Guide.