Siebel Analytics Web Administration Guide > Administering the Siebel Analytics Web Catalog >
Upgrading the Siebel Analytics Web Catalog to a Newer Version
This section is for organizations that have Siebel Analytics operational applications and have customized Web Catalog content. It explains how to merge your current Web Catalog with a newer version received from Siebel Systems.
NOTE: If you made no changes to the Web Catalog distributed with previous versions, this section may not apply to you. You can begin using the SiebelAnalytics.webcat Web Catalog distributed with this version.
The update is done using Analytics Catalog Manager. The process compares the base Web Catalog distributed with the previous version with your customized Web Catalog to get a baseline of the changes, and then merges your existing Web Catalog content with the content from the previous version. This process preserves any site-specific changes that have been made to your Web Catalog, and enables Siebel Analytics Web administrators to accept or reject specific changes.
The update makes use of three Web Catalogs:
- The Original Siebel Catalog, which is the Web Catalog that you received with your currently-installed Siebel Analytics application. It is also distributed at the root level of the installation CD-ROM as the file SiebelAnalytics-n.n-GA.webcat, where n.n is the version number.
- The Current Release Siebel Catalog, which is the Web Catalog that is installed as the file SiebelAnalytics.webcat.
- The Modified Customer Catalog, which is the Web Catalog that you are currently using. In the following procedure, you will copy and rename this to SiebelAnalytics.webcat.old.
To update the Web Catalog to a newer version
- Make a backup copy of your Modified Customer Catalog, rename it to SiebelAnalytics.webcat.old, and move it to a temporary location.
This is to make sure that a copy of your current Web Catalog is available for use during the upgrade process.
- Install the new software version received from Siebel Systems according to the instructions given in Siebel Analytics Installation and Configuration Guide.
This installs the Current Release Siebel Catalog, named SiebelAnalytics.webcat.
(If the software is already installed, you are prompted to uninstall it first. During the uninstall, if you select the option to keep your current Web Catalog, it is copied and renamed to SiebelAnalytics.webcat.old. You can use this Web Catalog, or the copy in the temporary location, during the upgrade process.)
- Make sure that your current Siebel Analytics repository has been migrated to the current version.
For instructions, read Siebel Analytics Server Administration Guide.
- Copy the Original Siebel Catalog from the installation CD-ROM into the location that holds your Modified Customer Catalog.
- Open Analytics Catalog Manager and open the Current Release Siebel Catalog, SiebelAnalytics.webcat.
- Choose Tools > Upgrade Catalog.
The Upgrade Current Catalog window opens.
- In the Original Siebel Catalog area, browse to locate the Original Siebel Catalog, SiebelAnalytics-n.n-GA.webcat.
- In the Modified Customer Catalog area, browse to locate your Modified Customer Catalog, SiebelAnalytics.webcat.old.
- Click OK.
Analytics Catalog Manager generates a baseline of the changes and compares your existing Web Catalog content with the content in the new version, merges in any changes, produces a request highlighting differences, and allows you to indicate how you want differences handled. If the Web Catalogs have conflicting content, you can choose which Web Catalog the content should be taken from.
The end result is a merged Web Catalog that contains the site-specific changes, as well as new Siebel metadata. When the merge process completes, the Current Release Siebel Catalog that is loaded into Analytics Catalog Manager contains the merged content.
The merge process may take several minutes. A message alerts you when the merge is complete.
NOTE: The log file SiebelAnalyticsMigrationLog.txt holds information about the merge process. This log file is written to the location that holds the Web Catalog. If you get an error logged in the file, this means that the path in question had a problem that did not allow the merge mechanism to resolve the merge. No action was taken. To merge that particular item, go into your original Web Catalog and merge it manually.
- Save the Current Release Siebel Catalog.
This catalog contains the merged content.