WebLogic Tuxedo Connector Administration Guide
Introduction to WebLogic Tuxedo Connector
The following sections summarize the concepts and functionality of WebLogic Tuxedo Connector for this release of WebLogic Server:
WebLogic Tuxedo Connector Overview
The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector provides interoperability between WebLogic Server applications and Tuxedo services. The connector allows WebLogic Server clients to invoke Tuxedo services and Tuxedo clients to invoke WebLogic Server Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs) in response to a service request.
Key Functionality and Administrative Features
The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector enables you to develop and support applications interoperating WebLogic Server and Tuxedo by using a Java Application-to-Transaction Monitor Interface (JATMI) similar to the Tuxedo ATMI. The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector tBridge functionality provides Tuxedo /Q and JMS advanced messaging services.
The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector provides the following bi-directional interoperability:
- Ability to call WebLogic Server applications from Tuxedo applications and vice versa.
- Ability to integrate WebLogic Server applications into existing Tuxedo environments.
- Transaction support.
- Ability to provide interoperability between CORBA Java and CORBA C++ server applications.
- Ability to provide interoperability between Remote Method Invocation (RMI) over Internet Inter-ORB Protocol (IIOP) applications and Tuxedo CORBA remote objects.
- Ability to use WebLogic Integration to manage workflow across Tuxedo ATMI services.
- Ability to define multiple connections between WebLogic Server and Tuxedo.
The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector includes the following key administration features:
- Simple implementation. The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector does not require modification of existing Tuxedo application code.
- Existing Tuxedo clients call WebLogic Server EJBs through the WebLogic Tuxedo Connector.
- New or modified WebLogic Server clients call Tuxedo services through WebLogic Tuxedo Connector.
- Bi-directional security propagation, including domain and ACL security.
- Domain-level failover and fallback.
- Advanced messaging services provided by Tuxedo /Q and JMS.
- Interoperability with mainframes and other legacy applications using eLink.
WebLogic Tuxedo Connector has the following limitations:
- Does not support dynamic configuration changes to the WebLogic Tuxedo Connector gateway.
Note: When making changes to your WebLogic Tuxedo Connector service configuration, you will need to remove the service from the server and target the service to the server for these changes to take effect.
- Does not support inbound TGIOP in clustered environments.
- Does not support Tuxedo 8.1 multibyte string data typed buffer named
MBSTRING for transport of multibyte character user data.
- Does not support Tuxedo 8.1 Domains keepalive functionality.
- WebLogic Tuxedo Connector does not support Tuxedo 6.5 running on the OS/390 platform.
How WebLogic Tuxedo Connector Differs from Jolt
The WebLogic Tuxedo Connector is not a replacement for Jolt. WebLogic Tuxedo Connector differs from Jolt in the following ways:
- WebLogic Tuxedo Connector offers a similar but different API than Jolt.
- Jolt enables the development of generic Java clients and other Web server applications that the WebLogic Tuxedo Connector does not.
- Jolt does not provide a mechanism for an integrated WebLogic Server-Tuxedo transaction.
Users should use Jolt as a solution instead of the WebLogic Tuxedo Connector when a generic Java client or other Web server application is required and WebLogic Server is not part of the solution.
See our Platforms Support page for the most accurate and current information regarding platform support.
Note: For more information on WebLogic Server licensing information, see "Installing and Updating WebLogic Platform License Files" in Installing WebLogic Platform.
This section provides licensing information for the WebLogic Tuxedo Connector:
- There is no license requirement for using the connector without encryption.
- An appropriate Tuxedo LLE license and an appropriate WebLogic Server SSL license is required to use encryption.
Upgrading WebLogic Tuxedo Connector 6.x Applications
You must make some changes in your WebLogic Tuxedo Connector 6.x applications (including WebLogic Tuxedo Connector 1.0) to use them with WebLogic Server 8.1. For detailed information on the administration and programming changes required to upgrade to WebLogic Tuxedo Connector in WebLogic Server 8.1, see Upgrading WebLogic Server 6.x to Version 8.1.
Upgrading WebLogic Tuxedo Connector 7.0 Applications
You may wish to make some changes in your WebLogic Tuxedo Connector 7.0 RMI-IIOP applications to use them with WebLogic Server 8.1. For detailed information, see Upgrading WebLogic Server 7.0 to Version 8.1.