Siebel Anywhere Administration Guide > Planning and Preparing to Use Siebel Anywhere >
Process of Planning and Preparing to Create Upgrade Kits
This topic provides an overview of how to plan a Siebel Anywhere upgrade and complete the tasks that must precede creation of one or more upgrade kits.
To plan and prepare to create upgrade kits, perform the following tasks:
- Determining Your Upgrade Requirements. You gather information about the software to be distributed and the computers that will receive it. The information you gather determines how many components will be involved and how many upgrade kits will be needed, among other important points.
- Modifying and Creating Siebel Anywhere Configurations. You determine whether or not existing Siebel Anywhere configurations match your upgrade needs and create or modify any configurations you will need.
- Setting Up Custom Siebel Anywhere Upgrade Components. You determine whether or not existing Siebel Anywhere components match your upgrade needs and create any custom components you will need.
- Verifying Client Connections to the Siebel File System. You verify settings for connections to the Siebel File System for your clients and servers.
- Verifying the Availability of Siebel Anywhere. You verify the availability of the Siebel Anywhere component group on the Siebel Server.
- Preparing Upgrade Kit Contents. You gather (and, where necessary, create) the files to be included in each upgrade kit. The specific process to follow depends on the types of components you are planning to upgrade.
NOTE: Some upgrade kits do not require any files. For example, Siebel Database Schema upgrade kits do not require any files to create an upgrade kit.
When these parts of the process have been completed, you can use the information, infrastructure elements, and files you have prepared to define the upgrade kits that you need. This process is described in Defining Upgrade Kits.
CAUTION: Any errors in an upgrade kit, whether in the files being distributed or in application processes defined for them, can have widespread impact on your production environment. To prevent such errors, thorough planning, preparation, and testing of upgrade kits are essential.