Siebel Performance Tuning Guide > Tuning Siebel EAI >
Guidelines for Siebel EAI Tuning
This topic describes guidelines for maintaining acceptable performance using Siebel EAI.
General guidelines are followed by recommendations specific to Siebel EAI features such as IBM WebSphere MQ (formerly MQSeries) Transport adapter, HTTP Inbound Transport adapter, EAI Siebel Adapter, virtual business components, and Workflow Process Manager used with Siebel EAI.
Follow these general guidelines to improve overall performance for data integration and throughput of Siebel Business Applications:
- Try to minimize round trips between systems. For example, if an integration needs to request three pieces of data, then do not send a request for one piece of data, wait for the response, and then send the next request. If you need multiple pieces of data, then gather the data in a single request.
- Try to keep processing in a single session wherever possible, to avoid having to make calls between server components.
- Within a session, try to minimize the nesting of calls between components such as workflow, scripting, and the EAI Siebel Adapter. For example, use a workflow process to sequence the calling of business services and keep scripting code in self-contained steps. Workflow subprocesses can be used to package together commonly called sequences of services.
- Use alternatives to scripting, where possible. If you use scripting, then use it minimally and economically and apply documented guidelines. For more information, see Performance Guidelines for Siebel Scripting.
- Configure business components, business services, caching, and other application functionality that supports integration processing to obtain optimal performance. For more information, see other topics in this chapter and see Tuning Customer Configurations.
- Perform capacity planning for all servers that support integration processing. For sizing reviews, consult Oracle's Application Expert Services. Contact your Oracle sales representative for Oracle Advanced Customer Services to request assistance from Oracle's Application Expert Services.
- Try to represent the incoming external data in the same code page and encoding that the Siebel application uses internally (UCS-2). This eliminates the need to use the Transcode business service in your workflow process, thus improving performance.