Siebel Product Administration Guide > Releasing Products and Other Versioned Objects >
About Versions of C/OM Objects
The information in this chapter applies to how versioning works for the following customer order management objects:
- Customizable Products. For general information about customizable products, see Products with Attributes and Designing Products with Components.
- Product Classes. For general information about product classes, see Products with Attributes.
- Attribute Definitions. For general information about attribute definitions, see Products with Attributes.
- Variable Maps. For general information about variable maps, see Siebel Order Management Infrastructure Guide.
- Signals. For general information about signals, see Siebel Order Management Infrastructure Guide.
This chapter discusses how to work with versions of products with components, but the instructions also apply to the other objects, using the appropriate view.
This type of versioning allows you to create and administer multiple development and production versions of an item can be created and administered independently. It allows you to develop, test, and deploy items either in your production environment or in a separate development environment. It support a four-stage process for introducing new items: development, testing, approval, and production.
NOTE: Simple products are also versioned objects and must be released to make them visible to users, but they work in a way that is simpler than the versioned objects described in this chapter. For more information, see Releasing a Simple Product.