Siebel Remote and Replication Manager Administration Guide > Synchronizing the Remote Client > Options for Synchronizing and Starting the Remote Client >
Configuring Siebel Remote to Use Siebel QuickStart to Start the Remote Client
Siebel QuickStart is an agent that Siebel Remote can preload on the user computer at startup. It reduces the amount of time that Siebel Remote requires to start the remote client. Siebel QuickStart applies to subsequent instances of the same type of Siebel application session, running the same application as the same user and with the same startup options. This performance improvement does not take effect on the initial Siebel login. Subsequent logins of the same type of Siebel application session benefit from QuickStart unless the user disables QuickStart.
Siebel Remote can use Siebel QuickStart only if the remote client connects to the local database or to the Sample Database. Siebel Remote cannot use Siebel QuickStart with the Siebel Developer Web Client or the Siebel Web Client.
Siebel QuickStart stores the encrypted Siebel user name and password in the siebel.local.client cookie.
Starting with Siebel CRM Fix Pack 22.214.171.124, Siebel QuickStart is not available as a Windows service.
For more information, see Siebel Security Guide.
Enabling Siebel QuickStart
This topic describes how to enable Siebel Quickstart.
To enable Siebel QuickStart
- If Siebel QuickStart is currently enabled for an existing application session, then you must disable it for that session now.
For more information, see Disabling Siebel QuickStart.
- Use the remote client to start a Siebel application.
For example, double-click the shortcut for Siebel Call Center for your applicable language.
- In the Siebel login screen, make sure the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box contains a check mark.
Disabling Siebel QuickStart
You can disable Siebel Quickstart from the login screen or from the system tray.
To disable Siebel QuickStart
Options in the Siebel Icon in the System Tray
If the Siebel application is running, or if the QuickStart agent is loaded, then the application displays an icon in the tray. If the user right-clicks this icon, then the application displays a menu that contains the following menu items:
- Exit. Exits the QuickStart agent for the current Windows session. This item includes the following states:
- Disable On Startup. Disables QuickStart the next time the user reboots Windows. Exits the QuickStart agent only if the user is not currently logging in according to the following logic:
- About. Displays information about a Siebel application. This option is available if the Siebel application or if the QuickStart agent is running.
- Help. Displays Siebel Online Help. This option is available if the Siebel application or if the QuickStart agent is running.
Configuring Siebel QuickStart to Improve Performance
To improve performance with Siebel QuickStart, there are two parameters in the configuration file that you can modify. The performance benefit occurs if the user starts and exits the Siebel application multiple times in the same Windows session. For more information, see Siebel System Administration Guide.
To configure Siebel QuickStart to improve performance
- In a text editor, open the configuration for the Siebel application.
For example, open the uagent.cfg file in the c
:\Siebel\81\21031\MWC\BIN\ENU folder. For more information, see Modifying the Siebel Configuration File.
- In the Preload section of the configuration file, specify the names of the views to precache.
View1 = Opportunity List View
View2 = All Service Request List View
When Siebel Remote loads the QuickStart agent, it preloads every view that you specify in the Preload section of the configuration file. It preloads these views in the cache when the Siebel application starts. If the user navigates to one of these view, then the Siebel application loads the view more quickly than if the view is not precached.
- In the Local section of the configuration file, set the AutoStopDB parameter to FALSE.
For more information, see AutoStopDB Parameter.
- Save your modifications, and then close the file.
The modifications take affect the next time the user starts the remote client.
AutoStopDB is a configuration parameter that is part of the Local configuration. It can contain the following values:
- FALSE. Allows the local database engine to continue to run after the Siebel application shuts down. This configuration helps to reduce the startup time if the user restarts a Siebel application. The default value is FALSE.
- TRUE. Shuts down the local database engine automatically if a Siebel application shuts down.
Using the Siebel Packager to Remove QuickStart Availability
Siebel QuickStart is available with the siebel.exe program, by default. You can use the Siebel Packager utility to disable Siebel QuickStart so that the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box does not display on the Siebel login screen. For more information, see Going Live with Siebel Business Applications.
Opening Multiple Remote Client Sessions
It is recommended that you instruct the user not to open multiple remote client sessions that run simultaneously. Opening multiple sessions can cause unexpected results because the user might circumvent a critical validation. For example, if multiple sessions are open, then the user can do the following undesirable actions:
- Add a product to a call after the user saves the signature.
- Delete an activity that includes a signature.
- Create a sample adjustment that does not include a reason code.
These actions are not desirable because they allow the user to violate compliance requirements that exist in the Siebel application.
Opening Multiple Sessions with Siebel QuickStart
If the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box contains a check mark, then the user cannot open multiple sessions that run simultaneously. For example, assume the user places a check mark next to Enable Siebel QuickStart during the log in for a remote session. If the user subsequently attempts to open another remote session on the same computer without closing the first session, then an error dialog might display regardless of whether the user places a check mark next to the Enable Siebel QuickStart check box for the second session.