Siebel Search Administration Guide > Setting Up Siebel Search with Oracle Secure Enterprise Search >
Enabling FTP or HTTP Indexing
Siebel Search provides both FTP and HTTP options for indexing. Indexing over HTTPS is more secure than indexing over FTP. Each indexing method uses a different type of feed. The feed is defined as the collection of documents in the data repository for the index operation. FTP and HTTP indexing use the following feed types:
- FTP indexing using directory feed. All feeds are placed in a directory, and this directory is the input to the connector. The directory feed location is configured in the file RSS_Crawler_Configuration.xml. Directory feed is useful when the data feeds are available in a single directory. The number of documents in each directory must be less than 10,000.
- HTTP indexing using control feed. Individual feeds are generated dynamically, and can be located anywhere. A single control file is generated with links to the feeds. This control file is the input to the connector. The control feed location is configured in the file RSS_Crawler_Configuration.xml.
The Send Index Feed Via HTTP setting is used to switch between FTP and HTTP indexing.
To enable FTP or HTTP indexing
- Navigate to the Administration - Search screen, and then the Search Engine Settings view.
- Configure the Send Index Feed Via HTTP settings as follows:
- Set the value to True to turn on HTTP indexing.
- Set the value to False to turn on FTP indexing.
The default value is False.
For information on configuring search engine settings for HTTP or FTP indexing, see Configuring Siebel Search Engine Settings.