How to Install a Hard Drive
Use this procedure to install a hard drive (HD).
Note - The hard drives in the Sun Fire X4800 server are hot-swap components.
Caution - If you are removing more than one HD and not replacing the drives,
label each HD to indicate its slot (see Hard Drive Designation). Drives must be
installed in their original slots.
Before You Begin
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare for Service.
- For information about how to remove a hard drive or an HD
filler carrier, see How to Remove a Hard Drive or How to Remove a Hard Drive Filler.
- Press the lever release button on the front of the hard drive carrier
and extend the lever to its fully open position.
- Slide the hard drive carrier assembly into the slot until it stops. Do
not push the drive into the slot any farther.
- Align the pawl on the lever with the opening in the side
wall of the slot.
- To install the hard drive, close the lever until it locks and is
flush with the front of the carrier.
This action pushes the hard drive carrier assembly into the slot and engages
the connector on the hard drive with the connector on the hard drive
- Prepare the server for operation. See How to Prepare for Operation.