|C H A P T E R 4|
Connecting the Management Host and Data Hosts
This chapter describes Sun StorEdge 6130 array cable connections for hosts. It contains the following sections:
The management host directly manages Sun StorEdge 6130 arrays over an out-of-band network. This section describes how to connect the physical Ethernet and power cables to the management host.
Before you begin, ensure that the two Ethernet cables are used to connect the management host. These requirements are outlined in the Sun StorEdge 6130 Array Site Preparation Guide.
1. Locate the Ethernet ports for Controller A and Controller B at the back of the controller tray (FIGURE 4-1).
2. Connect an Ethernet cable to each Ethernet port.
3. Connect the other end of each Ethernet cable to a LAN that can be reached by your management host (preferably on the same subnet).
You can connect data hosts to access the Sun StorEdge 6130 array through Fibre Channel (FC) switches to the array or directly to the array.
You can connect the Sun StorEdge 6130 array to data hosts through external FC switches.
Before you connect data hosts, check that the following prerequisites have been met:
1. Locate the host ports (SFP transceivers) at the back of the controller tray (FIGURE 4-2).
2. Connect each fiber-optic cable to the host port of Controller A and Controller B.
3. Connect the other end of each cable to the external switch as shown in the graphics that follow. FIGURE 4-4shows the external switch with cross-connections. Note that this configuration is not yet supported for use within a SunCluster.
4. Connect the cables from the switch to the HBAs for each data host.
A direct point-to-point connection is a physical connection in which the HBAs are cabled directly to the array's host connectors.
Before you connect data hosts directly to the array, check that the following prerequisites have been met:
The Sun StorEdge 6130 array has four host connections, two per controller. To maintain redundancy, connect one data host to both Controller A and Controller B.
1. Locate the host ports at the back of the controller tray (FIGURE 4-2).
2. Connect a fiber-optic cable to each host port on Controller A and Controller B.
3. Connect the other end of each fiber-optic cable to the HBAs (FIGURE 4-5and FIGURE 4-6).
[ D ]
After you have connected the management host and data hosts, you are ready to install the management and data host software as described in Chapter 5.