How to Prepare the Server for Service
- Before you begin, review the latest version of the Sun Fire X4640 Server Product Notes for known
issues and late-breaking information about the server and its components.
- Power off the server. See How to Power Off the Server.
- Unplug all AC power cords from the server’s power supplies.
- Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the system.
- Label any peripheral cables and telecommunication lines that must be disconnected in order
to remove or service the server.
- Observe antistatic procedures and precautions (see Antistatic Procedures and Precautions).
- Review the list of required tools. See Tools Required for Servicing the Sun Fire X4640 Server.
- Remove the server from the rack and set it on a flat
surface with ample light and space. See Removing the Server From the Rack.
Note - For some procedures, you might be able to service the server without removing
it from the rack.
- To remove the cover, loosen the two captive screws that secure the cover
at the rear of the chassis.
Caution - Electric shock and component damage potential. The intrusion switch (SW1 on the motherboard)
prevents power from being applied to the server when the cover is removed.
Do not defeat the purpose of the switch.
- Using the indent on the cover for leverage, push the cover toward the
rear of the chassis approximately 0.5 inches (12 mm).
- Lift the cover straight up by its edges and remove it.
- Remove dust from the interior of the server and air vents by
brushing it free of components and air vents using a static-free brush and
vacuuming it with a vacuum cleaner.
Caution - Do not use liquid or spray cleaners to clean the interior of the
Sun Fire X4640 Server Back Panel Features and Components