Securing the PDUs in the Rack
Prior to shipping a rack, you must first secure the PDUs, the power
lead cords, and any installed equipment inside the rack.
Secure the PDUs in the Rack
Before You Begin
For this procedure, you will need:
- Power off the rack and disconnect the PDU power lead cords from the
building’s AC power source.
See Power the Rack Off for power-off instructions.
- Open the rear door and, if necessary, secure any installed equipment and equipment
cables inside the rack.
Refer to the equipment documentation for instructions.
- If your rack contains standard PDUs, use a T-25 wrench key to secure
the PDUs to the mounting brackets using two M5 shipping screws and two
washers per mounting bracket (see Securing a PDU to the Mounting Brackets Using Shipping Screws).
If your rack contains standard PDUs that were installed at the factory, the
PDUs might already be secured to the mounting brackets with shipping screws and
Figure 5-1 Securing a PDU to the Mounting Brackets Using Shipping Screws
- Insert two spring nuts into each rear rack frame groove (see Installing Spring Nuts Into Rack Frame).
Insert the spring nuts into the frame groove at 45-degree angles. Secure the PDU
shipping brackets to these spring nuts (two spring nuts per bracket).
Figure 5-2 Installing Spring Nuts Into Rack Frame
- Move the spring nuts up or down the rack frame groove to the
Install one PDU shipping bracket near the top of the rack and the
other near the bottom of the rack.
- Using a T-25 Torx wrench key, secure the two PDU shipping brackets to
the rack by tightening the screws into the spring nuts (see Securing the Standard PDU Power Input Lead Cords and
Securing the Compact PDU Power Input Lead Cords).
Secure each PDU shipping bracket to the rack frame using two screws, one
Figure 5-3 Securing the Standard PDU Power Input Lead Cords
Figure 5-4 Securing the Compact PDU Power Input Lead Cords
- Using tie-wraps, secure the PDU power lead cords to the shipping brackets (see
Securing the Standard PDU Power Input Lead Cords and Securing the Compact PDU Power Input Lead Cords).
Use the top shipping bracket to support the weight of the power lead
cords, and place the power connectors behind the bottom bracket. Tighten all tie-wraps
firmly to ensure that the power lead cords do not become loose when
the rack is shipped.
- After securing the power lead cords, close the rack doors.