Installing the Terminal Concentrator
This section describes the procedure for installing the terminal concentrator hardware and for
connecting cables from the terminal concentrator to the administrative console and to the
How to Install the Terminal Concentrator in a Cabinet
This procedure provides step-by-step instructions for rack-mounting the terminal concentrator in a cabinet.
For convenience, you can rack-mount the terminal concentrator even if your cluster does
not contain rack-mounted nodes.
To rack-mount your terminal concentrator, go to the first step of the following procedure.
If you do not want to rack-mount your terminal concentrator, place the terminal concentrator in its standalone location, connect the unit power cord into a utility outlet, and go to How to Connect the Terminal Concentrator.
- Install the terminal concentrator bracket hinge onto the primary cabinet:
- Locate the bracket hinge portion of the terminal concentrator bracket assembly (see Figure 2-1).
- Loosely install two locator screws in the right-side rail of the rear of
Thread the screws into holes 8 and 29, as shown in Figure 2-1. The
locator screws accept the slotted holes in the hinge piece.
- Place the slotted holes of the hinge over the locator screws, and let
the hinge drop into place.
- Install the screws into holes 7 and 28.
Tighten these screws, and the screws in holes 8 and 29, as
shown in Figure 2-1.
Figure 2-1 Installing the Terminal Concentrator Bracket Hinge to the Cabinet
- Install the terminal concentrator into the bracket.
- Place the side pieces of the bracket against the terminal concentrator, as shown
in Figure 2-2.
- Lower the terminal concentrator (with side pieces) onto the bottom plate, aligning the
holes in the side pieces with the threaded studs on the bottom plate.
- Install and tighten three nuts on the three threaded studs that penetrate through
each side plate.
Figure 2-2 Installing the Terminal Concentrator Into the Bracket
- Install the terminal concentrator bracket onto the bracket hinge that is already installed
on the cabinet.
- Turn the terminal concentrator bracket on its side so the hinge holes and
cable connectors face toward the bracket hinge (see Figure 2-3).
- Align the bracket holes with the boss pins on the bracket hinge and
install the bracket onto the hinge.
- Install the keeper screw in the shorter boss pin to ensure the assembly
cannot be accidentally knocked off the hinge.
Figure 2-3 Terminal Concentrator Bracket Installed on the Hinge
- Connect one end of the power cord to the terminal concentrator, as shown
in Figure 2-4. Connect the other end of the power cord to the
power distribution unit.
Figure 2-4 Terminal Concentrator Cable Connector Locations
To cable the terminal concentrator, go to How to Connect the Terminal Concentrator.
How to Connect the Terminal Concentrator
- Connect a DB-25 to RJ-45 serial cable (part number 530-2152-01 or 530-2151-01) from
serial port A on the administrative console to serial port 1 on the
terminal concentrator, as shown in Figure 2-5.
This cable connection from the administrative console enables you to configure the terminal concentrator.
You can remove this connection after you set up the terminal concentrator.
Figure 2-5 Connecting the Administrative Console
- Connect the cluster nodes to the terminal concentrator by using serial cables.
The cable connections from the concentrator to the nodes enable you to access
the ok prompt or OpenBoot PROM (OBP) mode by using the Cluster Console
windows from the Cluster Control Panel (CCP). For more information about how to
use the CCP, see your Oracle Solaris Cluster system administration documentation.
- Connect the public network Ethernet cable to the appropriate connector on the terminal
Note - The terminal concentrator requires a 10-Mbit/sec Ethernet connection.
- Close the terminal concentrator bracket, and install screws in holes 8 and 29
on the left-side rear rail of the cabinet (see Figure 2-3).
Go to Configuring the Terminal Concentrator.