Secure Global Desktop 4.40 Administration Guide
> Organizing Your Resources
> Creating an Application Object and Assigning It to Users
Creating an Application Object and Assigning It to Users
You have installed a new application and want to assign it to users so that it appears on their webtops.
In the SGD Administration Console, create an application object of the correct type, and assign it to user profile objects.
- Use the
tarantella object command to create
the object and assign it to users.
Indigo Insurance has a new X application, XClaim. The application must
abe assigned to everyone in the Finance department, as well
as the webtop of the President, Indigo Jones. The application is
installed on london.indigo-insurance.com, geneva.indigo-insurance.com and
prague.indigo-insurance.com, and users must be load-balanced across those
- Log in to an SGD server as a Secure Global Desktop Administrator. Only
Secure Global Desktop Administrators can create objects and assign applications to users.
- On your webtop, click the SGD Administration Console.
- Click the Applications tab.
- Use the navigation tree or the search to select the directory or group object to which the application belongs.
You can use directory or group objects to organize your applications. In this example, the application is created
directly under the Applications directory object.
- In the Applications table, click the New button. The Create a New Object windows displays.
- In the Name field, type
- Ensure X application is selected and click the Create Button. The Create a New Object window closes and the content area is updated with the new object.
- Click the View New Object link. The General tab for the XClaim application object displays.
- Configure the X application.
- Click the Launch tab.
- In the Application Command field, type the full path name of the program on the application servers that can run
it (the path must be the same on all of them), for example
- In the Arguments For Command field, type any command-line arguments used for the application command.
- Click Save.
- Click the Presentation tab.
- For Window Type, select Client Window Management.
This makes the application look like it is running on the client device.
- Click Save.
- Specify the application servers that can run the application.
- Click the Hosting Application Servers tab.
- In the Editable Assignments table, click the Add button. The Add Application Server Assignment windows displays.
- Select the check boxes next to london.indigo-insurance.com, geneva.indigo-insurance.com, and
prague.indigo-insurance.com, and click the Add button.
The Add Application Server Assignment windows closes and lists the application servers in the Editable Assignments table.
SGD load balances users between the application servers.
- Assign the application to the Finance department and to Indigo Jones.
- Click the Assigned User Profiles tab.
- In the Editable Assignments table, click the Add button. The Add User Assignment window displays.
- Use the search or the navigation tree to locate the Finance directory object.
- Select the check box next to the Finance object and click the Add button.
The Add User Assignment window closes and the Editable Assignments table lists the Finance directory object.
All users in the Finance organization are now assigned the XClaim application if their user profile objects are configured to inherit application assignments from parent objects in the organizational hierarchy. User profiles do this by default.
- In the Editable Assignments table, click the Add button again, and select the user profile object for Indigo Jones.
- If you want to create multiple objects, or to assign many users at the same time,
tarantella object command's batch processing capabilities.
Copyright © 1997-2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.