How to Install a DIMM
Tip - As an ESD precaution, do not remove the DIMM from its packaging until
you are ready to install it.
Before You Begin
- Prepare the server for service. See How to Prepare for Service.
- Remove the air duct. See How to Remove the Air Duct.
- Locate the DIMM socket in which you want to install or replace a
memory module. For slot designations, see DIMM Slot Designations.
- Ensure that the DIMM socket ejector levers are open (rotated fully outward).
- Align the notch in the DIMM’s edge connector with the socket alignment key.
- Ensure that the DIMM's edge connector is positioned correctly within the slot.
- To install the DIMM, simultaneously press downward on both top edges of the
DIMM until the ejector levers rise to their vertical position and lock into
This action produces a click as the levers lock the DIMM in
Note - Insert the DIMMs evenly, straight down along the DIMM slot until locked into
- Ensure that the DIMM is correctly installed in the slot.
- Install the air duct. See How to Install the Air Duct.
- Prepare the server for operation. See How to Prepare for Operation.