Install the Slide Rail Assemblies
- Pull both mounting brackets completely out of their respective slide rails.
- Simultaneously press and hold the upper and lower lock buttons of the slide
Figure 11 Unlocking the Slide Rail Assembly (Either Server)
- Pull the mounting bracket out until it locks in the extended position.
- Slide the mounting bracket release button, then slide the mounting bracket out of
the slide rail.
Figure 12 Location of the Mounting Bracket Release Button (Either Server)
- Press the metal lever (labeled Push) on the middle section of the sliding
rail, then push the middle section back into the rack.
Figure 13 Unlocking the Slide Rail Middle Section (Either Server)
- Attach a mounting bracket to the right side of the chassis.
- Position the mounting bracket against the chassis. Ensure that the slide rail lock
is at the front and the three keyed openings on the mounting bracket are
aligned with the three locating pins on the side of the chassis.
Figure 14 Attaching a Mounting Bracket to the Chassis (Either Server)
- Ensure that the heads of the locating pins protrude though the keyed openings
in the mounting bracket. Pull the mounting bracket toward the front of the
chassis until the bracket locks into place with an audible click.
- Verify that all locating pins are trapped in the keyed openings and that
the correct locating pin has engaged the mounting bracket lock.
- Attach the second mounting bracket to the left side of the chassis.
- Determine which rack hole numbers to use when attaching the slide rails to
the rack posts.
If the server is two rack units high (2U), the slide rails occupy
the lower half of the 2U space.
- Determine which screws you will use to mount the slide rails.
- If your rack has threaded mounting holes in the rack posts, determine whether
the threads are metric or standard. Select the appropriate screws from the package included
in the mounting kit.
- If your rack does not have threaded mounting holes, the mounting screws are
secured with a caged nut.
- Attach a slide rail to the right front rack post.
- Loosely attach the front of a slide rail to the right front rack
post using two screws.
Note - Do not tighten the screws yet.
Figure 15 Mounting a Slide Rail (Either Server)
- Adjust the length of the slide rail by sliding the rear mounting flange
to reach the outside edge of the rear rack post.
- Loosely attach the rear of the slide rail to the rear rack post
with two screws.
- Attach the second slide rail to the left rack posts in a similar
Do not tighten the screws.
- Use the slide rail spacing tool to adjust the distance between the slide
- At the front of the rack, plug the left side of the tool
into slots at the end of the left rail.
Figure 16 Using the Slide Rail Spacing Tool to Adjust the Distance Between the Slide Rails (Either Server)
- Insert the right side of the tool into the front end of the
- Slide the end of the rail to the right or left as needed
to allow the ends of the tool to enter the ends of both
The distance between the rails is now equal to the width of the
server with mounting brackets.
- Tighten the screws to lock the ends of the rails in place.
- At the rear of the rack, repeat Step a through Step d for the rear
ends of the rails.