Assemble the DC Input Power Cables
Before You Begin
The following procedure describes how to assemble the DC input power cables for Oracle’s
Sun SPARC Enterprise T5240 server.
Assemble one cable for each DC power supply in your server.
Before you begin the installation procedure, verify that the required conditions described in
the following table have been satisfied.
Install a DC power source
that meets the server’s input power specifications.
Secure DC power cables that meet the server’s
power cabling specifications.
Attach the DC input plug to the DC input power cables.
The input plug is provided in the server’s shipping kit.
- Turn off power from the DC power source using the circuit breakers.
Caution - Do not proceed with these instructions until you have turned off the power
from the DC power source through the circuit breakers.
- Identify the parts that you will use to assemble the DC input power
For each cable, you need a DC input plug, cage clamp tool or
small screwdriver. These items are provided in the shipping kit that came with
your server (DC models only).
Figure 46 DC Connection Parts
1 DC input plugDC input plug
2 cage clamp operating toolCage clamp operating tool or small screwdriver
- Locate the three wires coming from your DC power source that will be
used in the connection to your unit:
- -48V or -60V (negative terminal)
- Chassis ground
- -48V or -60V Return (positive terminal)
Note - Depending on the DC power source, the -48V or -60V (negative terminal) might
be marked with a minus (-) symbol. The -48V or -60V Return (positive
terminal) might be marked with a positive (+) symbol.
- Strip 1/2 in. (13 mm) of insulation from each of the wires coming
from the DC power source.
Do not strip more than 1/2 in. (13 mm) from each wire.
Doing so leaves uninsulated wire exposed from the DC connector after the assembly is
Figure 47 Stripping the Insulation From the Wire
1 1/2 in. (13 mm)
- Open the cage clamp by inserting the cage clamp tool (or small screwdriver)
into the rectangular hole directly above the hole in the DC input plug
where you want to insert the first wire, and push in to open
the cage clamp.
Figure 48 Opening the Cage Clamp Using the Cage Clamp Tool
- Feed the exposed section of the appropriate wire into the round plug hole
in the DC input plug.
Figure 49 Connector Wiring Assignments
1 From -48V or -60V
2 From Chassis ground (green/yellow)
3 From -48V or -60V Return
Note - If you need to remove a wire from the DC input plug, insert
the cage clamp operating tool or a small screwdriver into the slot directly
above the wire and push in. Pull the wire from the DC input
- Remove the cage clamp tool to secure the wire.
- Repeat the procedures for the other two wires to complete the assembly of
the DC input power cable.
- Repeat this procedure to create as many DC input power cables as you
need for your unit.