Install VMware ESXi Using Local or Remote Media
The following procedure describes how to install the VMware ESXi software from local
or remote media. It assumes that you are booting the VMware installation media
from one of the following sources:
VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.0 Update 1, or 5.1 CD or DVD (internal or external CD or DVD)
VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.0 Update 1, or 5.1 ISO image (network repository)
Note - The VMware ISO image can be used for remote installations or for creating
an installation CD or DVD.
- Ensure that the install media is available to boot.
- For Distribution CD/DVD. Insert the VMware ESXi 5 Distribution media boot disc (CD labeled number
1 or the single DVD) into the local or remote CD/DVD-ROM drive.
- For ISO images. Ensure that the ISO images are available and that the boot disc
image (CD labeled number 1 or DVD) has been selected in the Oracle
ILOM Remote Console application (Devices menu > CD-ROM Image).
For additional information about how to set up the installation media, see Selecting the Boot Media Option.
- Reset the power on the server.
- From the local server, press the Power button (approximately 1 second) on the front panel of the
server to power off the server, then press the Power button again to
power on the server.
- From the Oracle ILOM web interface, select Host Management > Power Control, then select Reset from the Select
Action list box.
- From the Oracle ILOM CLI on the server SP, type: reset /System
Note - The next events occur very quickly; therefore, focused attention is needed for the
following steps. Watch carefully for these messages as they appear on the screen
for a brief time. You might want to enlarge the size of your
screen to eliminate scroll bars.
- In the BIOS screen, press F8 to specify a temporary boot device for
the VMware installation.
The Please Select Boot Device menu appears.
- In the Boot Device menu, select either the external or virtual CD/DVD device
as the first boot device, then press Enter.
The device strings listed in the Boot Device menu are in the following
format: device type, slot indicator, and product ID string.
After a few seconds, the splash screen for the VMware installation program appears.
- To complete the installation, refer to the VMware ESXi 5 installation documentation.
You can access the VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.0 Update 1, and 5.1
installation documentation at: http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-pubs.html
- When the following screen appears, select the storage drive on which to install
the ESXi software.
- After completing the VMware ESXi installation, proceed to Post Installation Tasks for VMware ESXi.