Remove the Storage Drive Backplane for Eight-Drive and Twelve-Drive Systems
- Prepare the server for service.
- Power off the server and disconnect the power cords from the power supplies.
See Powering Down the Server.
- Attach an antistatic wrist strap.
See Take Antistatic Measures.
- Extend the server into the maintenance position.
See Extend the Server to the Maintenance Position.
- Open the server fan assembly door, and remove the fan modules from the
See Remove a Fan Module.
- Remove all of the storage drives from the storage drive cage.
See Remove a Storage Drive.
Note - Ensure that you note storage drive locations when removing the storage drives from
the storage drive cage. Storage drives must be reinserted into the correct slots
after storage drive backplane replacement.
- Disconnect the cables from the storage drive backplane .
- Disconnect the SAS/SATA cable from the storage drive backplane. Note the cable connections in
order to ease proper reconnection of the cables.
- Disconnect the power cable from the storage drive backplane.
- Disconnect the disk backplane LED cable from the storage drive backplane.
- Disconnect the DVD power cable (eight-drive system only) from the top storage drive
Figure 80 Removing the Storage Drive Backplane
- Using a No. 2 Phillips screwdriver, loosen the two screws that secure the
storage drive backplane to the chassis .
- Slide the backplane forward toward the front of the server to release it
from the three mushroom standoffs, and lift it out of the chassis [3
- Place the storage drive backplane on an antistatic mat.
- Repeat Step 3 through Step 6 to remove the second storage drive backplane in an
- Repeat Step 3 through Step 6 to remove the third storage drive backplane in a