7x20 Controller Installation Tasks
This section provides enumerated steps for installing the Sun ZFS Storage 7120,
7320 or 7420 controllers into a rack using the rail assembly in
the rack mount kit. Note that if your rack mount kit shipped
with installation instructions, use those instructions instead.
Observe the following cautions:
Always load equipment into a rack from the bottom up so that it will not become top-heavy and tip over. Deploy the anti-tip bar to the prevent the rack from tipping during equipment installation.
Ensure that the temperature in the rack will not exceed the controller's maximum ambient rated temperatures. Consider the total airflow requirements of all equipment installed in the rack to ensure that the equipment is operated within its specified temperature range.
Refer to the Quick Setup poster that shipped with the product or
the following sections for an overview of your controller.
7120 Overview - view component diagrams and specifications
7320 Overview - view component diagrams and specifications
7420 Overview - view component diagrams and specifications
Tools and Equipment Needed
To install the system, you need the following tools:
No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
ESD mat and grounding strap
Pencil, stylus, or other pointed device, for pushing front panel buttons
You also need a system console device, such as one of the
7x20 Controllers Tasks
Installing Mounting Brackets on the Controller Chassis
If the mounting brackets are shipped inside the slide rails, you must
remove them before beginning this procedure, as follows.
Unpack the slide rails and locate the slide rail lock at the front of the assembly.
Squeeze and hold the tabs at top and bottom of the lock (1) while you pull the mounting bracket out to the stop.
Push the mounting bracket release button toward the front of the mounting bracket (2) while withdrawing the bracket from the assembly.
The following graphic illustrates the procedure for disassembling the 7120/7320 rail kit.
The following graphic illustrates the procedure for disassembling the 7420 rail kit.
- Position a mounting bracket against the chassis so that the slide
rail lock is at the front of the chassis, and the keyed
openings on the mounting bracket are aligned with the locating pins on
the side of the chassis.
The following graphic illustrates how to attach the 7120/7320 mounting brackets.
The following graphic illustrates how to attach the 7420 mounting brackets.
- With the heads of the four chassis locating pins protruding though
the four keyed openings in the mounting bracket, pull the mounting-bracket toward
the front of the chassis until the mounting-bracket clip locks into place
with an audible click.
- Verify that all mounting pins are securely fastened to the chassis.
- Repeat to install the remaining mounting bracket on the other side
of the chassis.
Installing the Controller Chassis into the Rack Slide Rails
This procedure requires a minimum of two people because of the weight
of the chassis. Attempting this procedure alone could result in equipment damage
or personal injury. Always load equipment into rack from the bottom up.
- If you are using a universal 19-inch cabinet, snap an M6 square
cage nut into the top and bottom holes of the location where
you will be installing the rail plate as shown.
- Position a slide rail assembly in your rack so that the brackets
at each end of the slide rail assembly are on the outside
of the front and back rack posts. The following graphic illustrates the
rail assembly brackets.
- Attach each slide rail assembly to the rack posts, but do not
tighten the screws completely.
- From the front of the rack, set the proper width of the
rails with the rail-width spacer (1).
- Tighten the screws on the brackets.
- Remove the spacer and confirm that the rails are attached tightly to
- If your rack includes an anti-tip foot, extend it from the bottom
of the rack.
- Lower the rack stabilization feet if you have not already done so.
- Push the slide rails into the slide rail assemblies in the rack
as far as possible.
- Raise the chassis so that the back ends of the mounting brackets
are aligned with the slide rail and insert the chassis into the
slide rails, pushing the chassis slowly, until the mounting brackets meet the
slide rail stops (~12 in or 30 cm). You will hear
an audible click.
The following graphic illustrates the 7120/7320 chassis insertion and slide rail locks
The following graphic illustrates 7420 chassis insertion.
Installing the Cable Management Assembly
This procedure is completed from the back of the equipment rack.
- Attach the cable management assembly (CMA) rail extension to the left slide
rail until the extension locks into place.
- Insert the CMA mounting bracket connector into the right slide rail until
the connector locks into place.
- Insert the right CMA slide rail connector (1) into the right slide
rail assembly (2) until the connector locks into place.
- Insert the left CMA slide rail connector (1) into the rail extension
on the left slide rail assembly (2) until the connector locks into
- After you install and route the cables through the assembly, attach the
hook and loop straps (1) to secure the cables. Then attach the
right and left outer latches to support the assembly.