Sharing Records (Teams)
For some record types, you can share a record so that a team of users can view it. The following record types can be shared by teams:
- Business Plan
- Custom Objects
- Deal Registration
- MDF Request
- Service Request
- Special Pricing Request
With account records, you can also share the contact and opportunity records that are linked to that account record.
About Teams and Record Ownership Modes
Depending on the record ownership mode that your company administrator sets up for the record type, a record might not have an owner. The record might instead have a primary custom book or might have no owner or primary custom book. For more information about record ownership modes, see About Data Access, Record Sharing, and Record Ownership. Record ownership modes apply only to record types that support books.
If your company administrator changes the record ownership mode for a record type, then a record that previously had an owner might have the owner removed from the record the first time that the record is updated after the record ownership mode changes. When this happens, all the members of the team, except the former owner of the record, remain as members of the team. The behavior is the same for team members who are members of a predefined group; that is, all of the members of the group, except the former owner of the record, remain as members of the team.
NOTE: The Account record type is an exception to this rule. If the former owner of an account is a member of a predefined group, then all of the members of the group are removed from the team. Any team members who are not members of the predefined group remain as members of the team, as is the case with other record types.
To share a record, you first add the person to the Team for the selected record. Then you specify the access level the person has to the record.
To share a record
- Select the record.
For instructions on selecting records, see Finding Records.
- On the record Detail page, scroll down to the Team section and click Add Users.
- In the Team Add User window, click the Lookup icon next to User.
- In the Lookup window, select an employee.
- Set roles and access levels:
NOTE: Depending on the record type and setup, your application might differ from these options.
- (Optional) To explain the role the linked record plays in relation to the main record, select an option from the Team Role drop-down list.
- To set the access rights for the record type for team members, select an option from the Access drop-down list. The options that are available by default are as follows:
- Read-only. Users can view records but not change them.
- Edit. Users can update records.
- Full. Users can update or delete records.
Your company administrator can make other access profiles available for teams.
NOTE: Your managers have owner access to records of their subordinates (as long as Manager Visibility is turned on for the company) regardless of your selections here. For any user, the most liberal access set at any point in the application is the one that determines the access level for that user. For more information about access profiles, see Access Profile Management.
- Click Save.
- (Opportunity teams only) To allocate part or all of the revenue on the opportunity to a team member, do the following:
- In the Opportunity Detail page, in the Opportunity Team section, click Edit Users.
- In the Opportunity Team Edit Users page, in the Split % field, enter the percentage of the value that is to be allocated to the team member.
The value in the Split % field can be any number from 0 (zero) to 100.
NOTE: The Split Revenue field is a read-only field that is calculated from the Split % field on the opportunity team record and the Revenue field on the opportunity record.
- Click Save.
See the following topic for related information about opportunity teams: