Defining Cascading Picklists
Cascading picklists restrict the values of one picklist, the related picklist, based on the value selected in another picklist, the parent picklist. For example, a parent picklist might present a list of service request Categories and drive the value of a related picklist called Sub-Categories. When the user selects, for example, the value Installation for Category, the Sub-Categories picklist is dynamically constrained to show only the picklist values that are associated with the Installation Category.
You can link together multiple picklists, including both pre-defined and custom picklist fields, as cascading picklists. You can also nest cascading picklists, so a related picklist in one cascading picklists definition can be a parent picklist in another cascading picklists definition.
Before you begin. Before you create a cascading picklists definition, the parent and related picklists must exist. For information about creating picklists, see Creating and Editing Fields. To perform this procedure, your role must include the Customize Application privilege.
To create a cascading picklists definition
- In the upper-right corner of any page, click the Admin global link.
- In the Application Customization section, click the Application Customization link.
- In the Record Type Setup section, click the link for the required record type.
- In the Cascading Picklists section, click the required Cascading Picklists link.
The record types listed include the parent record type and related record types that have custom picklist values. For example, for opportunities there are links for Opportunity Partner, and Opportunity Competitor.
- In the Cascading Picklists page, do one of the following:
- In Step 1 Select Picklists, select a parent picklist and a related picklist.
- In Step 2 Select Values, you can:
- View the existing associations between a Parent Picklist value and the Related Picklist values. When you select a value in the Parent Picklist Available Values list, the available values for the related picklist are shown in the Related Picklist Available Values list, and the values that will be displayed are shown in the Related Picklist Displayed Values list. If there are no values in the Related Picklist Displayed Values list, all of the values in the related picklist will be displayed when the corresponding value in the parent picklist is selected.
- Create a new association. Move the desired value from Related Picklist Available Values to Related Picklist Displayed Values.
- Remove an existing association. Move the value from Related Picklist Displayed Values to Related Picklist Available Values.
- In Step 3 Confirm, you can confirm your selections of Related Picklist values for each Parent Picklist value, and then click Finish to complete defining the cascading relationship between the Parent and the Related picklists.
Clicking Finish in the wizard returns you to the Cascading Picklist List for the current record type.
After you click Finish, and add the cascading picklists definition to a page layout, it is automatically activated for all roles that include that layout.