Creating Direct Mailings or Mass Emails with Mail Merge for Word
Using Mail Merge for Word, you can download Oracle CRM On Demand data, and merge it with a Word document. The following procedure uses Contacts as an example, but you can also create mail merges using Oracle CRM On Demand data from Leads, Accounts, Opportunities, and Service Requests or using a recipient list you have saved locally.
NOTE: The maximum number of records that can be downloaded is 4000.
To create a direct mailing or mass email using Mail Merge for Word
- Open the Word template file you want to use for your direct mailing.
- In the On Demand Integration toolbar, click Get On Demand Data, then Contacts.
- In the Oracle On Demand - Sign-in dialog box, complete the appropriate fields and click Sign In to sign in to Oracle CRM On Demand.
- In the Define List dialog box, do the following:
- In the Filters tab, define the criteria for the data you want to download into Word.
For more information about creating filters, see Working with Lists.
- In the Fields tab, select the specific fields of information you want to download. A maximum of 40 fields can be selected.
The system will scan the current template and automatically select each of the fields that are needed. You can select additional fields to insert into the template to further personalize the communication.
NOTE: You should also select additional fields of information that may be required to send the communication. For example, if you are going to be sending a mass email, you must include the email address in the recipient file.
- Click OK.
- In the Save List? dialog box, do one of the following:
- To save the list locally for later use, click Yes. In the Save As dialog box, complete the appropriate fields, and then click Save.
- If you plan on using the list only once, click No and then click OK. Selecting this option automatically saves the recipient list as a temporary file which will be deleted after use.
- In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, you can do the following:
- Clear check boxes to remove recipients from this correspondence.
- Select check boxes to include recipients in this correspondence.
When you have finished editing recipients, click OK.
NOTE: You can reopen the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box by clicking Refine Recipients in the On Demand Integration toolbar.
- Click Refine Message to insert Oracle CRM On Demand fields or auto-text into the Word document. For more information about the Refine Message button, see Using Mail Merge for Word.
- Click Preview and use the arrow buttons to scroll through each message to see how they will appear when printed or sent by email.
For more information about the Preview button, see About the On Demand Integration Toolbar in Mail Merge for Word.
- Click Print or Send Message and then do one of the following:
- To send to another Word document, select Merge to Document.
- To print, select Merge to Printer.
- To distribute as a mass email, select Send as Email.
- To distribute as a mass fax, select Send as Fax.
NOTE: To distribute correspondence as a mass fax, you must first configure Microsoft Office. For more information, search for “fax” in your Microsoft Office help files.
- (Optional) Click Log as On Demand Activity to create a single Oracle CRM On Demand activity that will be associated with every contact selected for the mail merge. The Description field of the activity is automatically populated with the text of the template. In the Tasks dialog box, complete the appropriate fields, and then click Save.